Is it as easy as add water and freeze?

Any links or info on what to do exactly if not pour n freeze

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I was just reading about this the other day and you just use ice cubes instead of gel caps. I have not tried it but the Osmocote is a slow release fert for garden plants and you add a small amount and water then freeze. You use less water for smaller cubes or I don't know if anyone remembers those little tiny cube trays that made about 50 1/2 inch cubes, if anyone comes across these please post it. I'm sorry to say I can't tell you how much Osmocote to use or where I read it, but it would be a tiny amount (pinch) just like the tabs, caps, etc. You could find the size at http://www.aquariumplants.com or some place like that who makes fert tabs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
I just mixed a batch and put in the freezer to try. I put about 2-3 of the little fert seeds for each ice cube and I did what 150EH suggested and filled the tray only part way.

Glad I came across this thread before I went and bought gel caps.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 12:54 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Well, the nice things about gel caps is that they're really cheap, and not slippery, and don't have a habit of breaking apart in warm water if you don't have a high enough water/osmo ratio. I gave the Ice cubes a try and found that I had to work very quickly, which was difficult in some tank areas. I ended up successful, but with a lot of osmo balls sitting on the substrate. I ended up spending $5 on 250 gelcaps and make my own.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode