moving to well water - what do I need to know - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
moving to well water - what do I need to know

I currently have 4 dh water from the city. I am moving to a well water system that I tested and it's 13 dh.

Will I need to mix distilled water on water changes to dilute the hardness?

Does getting CO2 to the right level of 30 ppm mean I need to lower the KH or else I will need to use a lot of CO2 to hit the right PPM.

If I don't lower the KH value I won't be able to get enough CO2 into the water?

I have never kept an aquarium with very hard water before.

I would consider and RO/DI unit for water changes the tank is 75G and I do 50% weekly with EI dosing and pressurized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
75 Gallon High Tech Planted Tank (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) 220 Gallon African Cichlid tank (
)
Ponds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
RO/DI unit is you best bet in the long run. I have softened well water and up until I had my own unit it was a nightmare.

Purewaterclub.com has some really nice units and they're not that bad of a price. I have had mine for 6 months, I filter 45 gallons of water a week and I still have 0TDS coming out into the barrel. If you use stright RO/DI you will need to mix up some GH booster (which isn't that hard) and add some baking soda to bring the Kh back up; simple as that.

JM

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newday3000, I am no where near an expert, but let me give you some info that might help you out...... I have a well myself and i am growing live plants....... however i find that i have to add a lot of ferts to my well water to get things to grow well at all.... I havn't tested my GH yet, but my KH is around 8-9. Well Water at my house is also at a PH of 7.2 HOWEVER, at my fiance's parents house, i had a fish tank setup for them with a DIY co2 system using their well water, and that thing grew like no tomorrow. They had a lot of natural elements in their water to help things grow......their KH was around 13, like yours, and their GH was higher than 9..... But this was a 20 gallon, low tech tank.....

Just wanted to throw that our there for ya, just so you can get some other well water people's oponions

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
actually you can grow most of the plants if the KH is low, GH isn't that important for plants if its high. my plants did much better in well water when my water company switch to it every summer.

PH isn't very important either for most of the plants. i think you should give it a try, 8-9 KH is not very high and i think its in good condition.

DIY Trace/Micro/Macro Recipe

DIY Trace/Micro/Calculation Etc
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just to let you know that well water doesn't lead to the end of plant growth. My tap water is comparable to yours and I'm getting about all the growth I can handle. I've had some initial melting as plants adapted. Pure speculation as to cause and effect by the way. I decided to just plant away and see which grew and which didn't. You can click on View User Tanks below my name and then click on the picture to see my profile. I'm no expert and I suppose I could improve things by altering my water, but I wanted to let you know you don't have to be a chemist to grow plants. Your results will vary due to different plant selection, etc. You have considerably more experience than I do and a beautiful tank. There are plenty of options.

What did the catfish say when he ran into a concrete wall?... "Dam!"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode