Tap water filters, good or bad? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Tap water filters, good or bad?

What effects does a normal tap water filter do to the water? Im talking in specific about the pur water filters that you buy to make your water taste decent because i have been just using normal tap water coming out of my pur water filter for my tank, i figured the filter would take out all the chlorine/chloramine and all that stuff. Is this a proper logic or am i just being stupid? Also i dont have the money right now to get a test kit because they are a bit pricey, but i did some research and found my wonder is normally a PH around 6.0 - 7.8, depending on the type of well it comes from, seeing how i live in a sandy area and its probably a sand well its probably a lower PH around 6.0 - 7.0 max. I know my water has a lot of minerals and stuff in it because it has a strong odor to it when it comes out of the tap and you can tastes the minerals in it thats why i use the water filter. When the water comes out of the filter though, it has no smell or taste. Is there some house hold ways to figure out a general range of your PH? Any DIY chemical stuff you can do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I think pretty much the tap water filter still contains chlorine and should be cycled for a period of time. You should really get your self a test kit, don't by the seperate ones, get the master test kit that includes everything. They cost around $20-25 maybe cheaper on bigals. Also it depends on what kind of fish you are keeping.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those faucet filters generally have a combination sediment/carbon filter cartridge. They remove enough chlorine to improve taste, but I wouldn't expect it removes all chlorine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
opening soon

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If your tap water has a pH in the 6.0-7.0 range it can't have too many minerals in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode