I need a little advice on finding the happy medium between light, co2, and ferts.
Could some of you more experienced people help me out?
First my tank specs;
- 4 t5ho bulbs (3 @ 6700K, 1 @ 10000K) 9 hrs/day 12" from surface of H2O, (+/-)34" from substrate
- Pressurized CO2 (approximately 6-7bps diffused through the atomic inline diffuser by GLA) this will soon be changed to a reactor system as I hate the bubbles it spews through the water
- %65 Black Florite + %35Eco Complete substrate
- Temp. is kept at about 80 degrees
- PH varies with co2 between 7.0-7.6 (I need to get a drop checker soon!)
- KH 9, GH 8-10
- 2x Fluval 405 filters
The tank is heavily planted and stocked including:
Bronze Crypt Wendtii,
Echinodorus Franz Stoffell,
2 different Hygro (not sure the species at the moment)
(sorry if my spelling is not correct on some of these)
12 Rummy Nose
9 Emperor Tetra
4 Bristle nose
9 Amano Shrimp
2 zebra loaches
Currently I am using the full line of products from Seachem except Excel (ie; NPK, Trace, Iron and Flourish) and I am dosing quantities per directions on bottle 3 days a week plus 1 day with a half dose of NPK and monthly root tabs.
I am seeing good amounts of growth but recently I am having some algae issues which I want to nip in the bud before it gets out of hand (not too serious but not good either). The algae is Green Spot Algae and I believe either staghorn algae or hair algae or both.
Also, the swords and echinodorus could be a little better - some of the leaves get holes in them and seem to melt (however overall they seem to be quite healthy with lots of new growth).
Can anyone offer me some advice on:
- What is the best way to use Seachem ferts in my setup - or can someone tell me a where to get dry ferts in Canada?
- Should I reduce the photo period?
- Should I remove a bulb? I understand this is High Light.
- Should I increase CO2? My fish seem very happy currently.
Any advice would be great. I know there are a lot of really experienced people here and I am still learning.
So far this site has been a fantastic reference for me and for the most part I am very happy with my tank, I am even already looking towards setting up another. I owe so much to this forum. I hope someone could offer a little more advice.