Whats wrong? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Whats wrong?

I have had my aquarium for over 15 years, and finally decided to do live plants..... My tank is:
125 gallon tank (6ft long)
CO2 injection with Milwakie ph monitoring system
Flourite dark substrate
two Rena Filstar XP4 filters
Two Rena inline heaters (temp kept at 80 degrees)
PH kept at 6.8-6.9
KH 8-9
Iron is .5
i also dose with Seachem Floruish Iron, essentials, Trace, and Potassium.
I forget the brand light i have, but i have a total of 3 T5 plant bulbs
I use well water as well.......

I have Anacharis, creeping charlie, mint charlie, and Java ferm all in the tank.....

They seem to grow, but as soon as they start growing, they all turn brown and are about to die.... I also have two apple snails.....one of the snails died and it had white stuff, looked like etching, on its shell..... The other is still alive, for now.

What is causing my plants and snails to die?????

I am very new at live planted tanks so anything you can offer, i would greatly appreciate.
Thanks

Last edited by gray_fox; 05-09-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: forgot to add i had co2 :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Even your anacharis is dieing? If so I would assume your lighting is too low? We probably need more information on your lighting setup to see if it efficient or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
If I remember right anacharis doesn't tolerate warm water and prefers cool. As for the snails co2 will deteriorate their shells which may be causing them to die( at least I think I read this somewhere.) I would think three t5 bulbs no or ho would grow those plants though so I'm lost on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replys Another note to add about the snails dieing.....i forgot to add that i also have 2 zebra snails, and 2 other snails that look similar to the zebra snails, and they are all doing just fine, its just the apple snails that are dieing.....The other snail shells are looking like they are brand new..... Also noted that the snails are not moving much at all.......very stationary.......

As far as lighting, i can take a picture of what i am running when i get home and upload it here so you guys can get a better look see as to what i am using for lighting.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Is the tank 72"L x 18"W x 29"H? Does the light use 6 foot long bulbs, and 3 of them? If so, I'm pretty sure you have enough light. But, you probably need to be dosing nitrogen and phosphorous too. The best way to fertilize such a big tank is to follow the Fertilizing forum sticky, about dosing methods.

CO2 is the most important nutrient, but you do need to dose enough for the plants to have what they need to grow as fast as the light allows them to grow. Instead of relying on the pH controller, you need to get a drop checker and use that to help you get the bubble rate high enough to be effective, then set the pH controller to maintain whatever the water pH is at that time.

Hoppy
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hoppy, thanks for the reply. I actually dont have my ph controller connected just yet......I have the solenoid for it to hookup, but havn't done so yet until i got things figured out haha. I am just using the ph controller for monitoring the ph right now.... But i do have a co2 diffuser and a bubble counter...So right now, my co2 is on 24/7, and i check the levels of co2 every morning before i eat breakfast I just change the solution in my co2 checker and its lime-green..... So i personally don't feel it is co2 related, unless there is such a thing as too much co2, but i dont think there is lol.
72"L x 18"w x 29"H is very close to what it is. The one light is a dual HO T5 fixture that is 4 feet long. The other one is a Single HO T5 fixture that is also 4 feet long.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If those are good lights with good reflectors, you should have low to medium light over the whole length of the tank. But, the 18 inch front to back width is really more than you can expect those lights to cover uniformly, so the areas not under the lights is probably significantly lower in light. You probably have enough light for the plants you have.

Hoppy
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hoppy, so if you think that i have low to medium light, and i do have those plants directly under those lights, then can you explain as to why my plants are dieing? Is there any kind of data that i can give you to help analize my situation?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
other contaminant?

Windex? dirty hands in the tank? using a powered carpet treatment in the room? chemical air freshener?

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

esworp, thanks for the reply. I do not clean my glass with windex or any other chemicals, i do not use any powered carpet cleaner, nor do we have any kind of air freshener in the living room, actually, no where in the house......
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cool! Just trying to think outside the box. :3

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It seems to me that something is definitialy wrong with something because another snail died last night......
Also checked the Co2 levels this morning and the levels are still stabilized.....PH 6.8 and co2 is still Lime-Green.....
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Have you done anything different, like not changed the water for a long time and then do a big water change, thinking about snail here or are they just old. And Hoppy is correct on the fertilizers, fast growers will quickly depleat the nitrogen and brown.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
How is your well water? Also I would kill the co2 at night, jmo. Your Anacharis shouldn't be dying, it's a very easy plant to grow. Possibly TO much direct light? Excel also will kill Anacharis.

The Fraternity of Dirt #26
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low Tech
75 Dirted

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@ 150EH , No, i dont think that i have done anything differently. I change the water pretty religiously 15% one a week, every now and then i will forget and do it the following saturday, so two weeks MAX, never been longer than that. Last large water change, 50%, was done a month before i got the plants and co2. The snails are 2-3 weeks old from my LFS, I got a few of them for my other tank, and those are doing just fine, even laying eggs....... I did stop on my way home last night and bought a bottle of nitrogen by Seachem so i will start to dose that.

@ JasonG75 , Well water isnt bad IMHO. Ph from well is 7.2, no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites, if there is any, its low. Most of the time i dont see much of any of the stated above in the well water....... I leave the co2 on at night because i use a slow trickle into the tank to keep the levels stable, just until i get everything figured out...... Can you elaborate as to why Excel kills Anacharis?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode