High ammonia/nitrite on established tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
High ammonia/nitrite on established tank?

I've had the tank set up for months now, fully planted and such and I did my regular WC yesterday, but today I woke up to 2 of my neons belly up and the rest of my fish near the surface of the water. CO2 was running as normal, actually lower than normal, but I immediately shut it off and made more surface movement with my canister. I tested the water and the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are off the charts! I didn't even add my ferts yesterday I totally forgot. So I did a 50% WC again this morning and I'm baffled at what could be causing this sudden cycle. Nothing else has changed, all of the fish have been in there for nearly a month, some from the beginning of setting it up, and they've all been fine until today.
I'll post my H20 params in a bit after I re test the water, but I have a flight lesson at noon so that will have to wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Check your local tap water as well. They sometimes change to a different "mix" in the spring. My local water people changed my water last spring which led to a huge shrimp die off. The had also went from 6.8 to 7.6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Did you remove or wash any of you filter media? Or possibly stir up a bunch of your substrate?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (10/100%)
Ok I tested my water and both ammonia and nitrite are back to nil and nitrate is ~5ppm.
I was really worried because my rams and one of my sterbai corys were floating near the top and weren't looking very well but they're totally fine now from what I can see.
I did clean out my sponges for the 205, but the xp1 has been running the whole time so it should be able to prevent any kind of cycle no?
Oh and I also did a WC on my Edge and they are doing fine so I'm not sure it's the tap that's bad.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode