Ferts for lowlight/low tech advice please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ferts for lowlight/low tech advice please

I'm new to planted tanks and would like some input on ferts please. I'd like to keep this very simple. I'm using two t8's at 20" above the substrate on my 38 gallon tank so roughly 1wpg. It has angels, apisto's, cardinals, and otto's. Planted with some java ferns, anubius nana, crypts williasi, and vals. No co2 injection and no ferts except for excel. I was using daily or every other day but have cut back to 3 times a week at half dose for a little bit to not risk the newly added vals. I'm wondering if there is a single comprehensive fert that would be useful to to this setup. Would such a low light and low demand plant tank like this even need or benefit much from ferts? If so what would be some recommendations/brands. Would using only micro but not macro be a bad idea? I was thinking of flourish(micro), but leaving out the individual macros for simplicity sake. Any advice appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Perhaps worth mentioning is that my nitrates stay below 10. Also i'm not looking for alot of increased growth, simply want the plants to remain green and healthy.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
You are going to need a little more light, most likely and try this site for good reading on low tech http://sites.google.com/site/aquatic...r/home/pps-pro I us the PPS Pro mix made from dry ferts and weigh, mix solution, dose once per week, it's all at the site.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Low Tech, Low Light Tank Ferts

Hello Jessy. I can only tell you what I've found after a few years of keeping low tech (no CO2), low light tanks. I have less than 1 watt per gallon for lighting and keep several large well planted tanks.

Plant a lot of stems like Water Sprite, Water Wisteria, Rotala and Ludwigia. These do well, as they grow toward the light. I also have a lot of Java Fern, Crypts and Anubias. Any of the mosses will do well in low light too.

Tropical plants in low light conditions, need a good liquid fert to do well. I rotate using several kinds of liquids simply because plants, like all living things will do best if fed a varied diet. I currently use Yamato Green. It has all the nutrients plants need. I just add a capful to a pitcher of my water change water and dose when I need to top off the tanks, usually two to three times per week.

Since you have Vals, avoid using Seachem's Flourish Excel.

You can have well planted tanks in less than one watt per gallon conditions. My lights are 6,500 K T8s and T5s I get for a few dollars at the local Lowe's and have one tube per tank.

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

BBradbury
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure if that particular product would be available in my area. Seachem products are though. Would flourish be a suitable all in one? Or maybe flourish along with one macro(nitrogen, potassium) etc? If so which would be the best choice to go along with flourish?I get very little evaporation ok this tank so I don't have to top it up and this would like to keep feet dosing to once or maybe twice a week.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You've got slow-growing, low nutrient demand plants, so personally I'd just watch them and see.

You'll be looking for dicolorations, pinholes, warped leaves- stuff like that.

I doubt you need to dose much if any Excel. Maybe once a week? A dose of Flourish Comprehensive after water changes would hurt, though. Sounds to me like you've got a decent bioload in there, and if your nitrates are running 5-10ppm and that low of lighting, I wouldn't worry about macros unless you notice any visible deficiencies.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Did you mean to say flourish after water changes would NOT hurt? If dosing excel only once a week as you say how much of a dose would be appropriate? The regular suggested daily dose or would I do the approximately 4x they suggest after a water change? Which would be a ether time and dose? The plants had been doing well even with half the light I have now. The crypts actually grew well.But the ferns are browning amd getting the holes. It's only been 2 weeks since I upped the light to what I have now though.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Could you post pics? I'm going to guess that the issue with the ferns is they weren't getting quite enough light, but hard to say for sure, especially without pics. It could in fact be potassium or iron deficiency, too...

I was recommending the daily dose of Excel one time a week.

Flourish is the name of Seachem's entire fert line, so I'm getting a little confused about which one you mean when you just say "Flourish" lol The Comprehensive (which is mostly micros and trace) is what I'm recommending dosing right after water changes.

What your're doing now probably is fine, it's just also probably more than is really needed.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, to clarify i was reffering to the flourish comprehensive. Here are some pics to show the condition of the ferns. Again they had been under only 17 watts but i've since increased lighting, but it's only been just under two weeks.

Crypts and Anubius had been doing fine, diatoms should be under control soon as the newly introduced otto's have made a big dent in it already. The green stuff on the substrate i believe is cyano which is also something I'm working on. The crypts grew quite well, almost doubling in size in around two months under only the 17 watts. That's what makes me wonder if it's a lightin issue or not. Since Java fern is supposed to be so hardy and tolerant of low light and yet they are not in great condition but yet the crypts grew well. THere is also a fair bit of inderect sunlight hitting the tank.
Crypt

Anubius nana
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

There was also an l200 pleco in there that may possibly have been involved in picking at the ferns but never caught him in the act. He did chew some holes into the anubius nana so never know. And also I had a big diatom bloom so I don't know if that could also be a factor.

Also, on the excel since it's supposed to only be active for 24 hours why would once a week be appropriate for this situation?

Thanks alot for the replies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode