Very low pH levels from well water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Very low pH levels from well water

I recently moved into a new house and of course brought my fish along with me in a new 150 gallon tank, and after I had set up the tank and checking water parameters, I realized my pH levels were really low.

First tested with my test kit, and it came out yellow. I thought the test kit was bad, so I whipped out my AquaController Jr that was still packed away, configured the probe, and dropped it into the water... and sure enough, my pH was around 5.5.

Right now, my probe is telling me the water is 5.26. I have also tested my tap water, even the RO water, all in the same 5.25-5.5 range, so it's not something going on with the tank itself, it's just my water (well).

I was wondering how this would affect growing plants, in particular with CO2 injection, and if there is anything I should watch out for.

I was considering setting up my old 75 gallon tank in the basement to store some RO water for my semi-weekly changes (the RO system was in the house when I bought it, it's pretty small... only 15 gallons/day).... but then I was considering putting crushed coral in the tank to buffer the water back to the 7 range.

If I do this, would the water unbuffer itself back to the 5.5 range when taken out of the tank w/ the crushed coral? Is there anyway to alter the pH of the water in those storage tank reliably before pumping it into my main tank?

I've read different things about whether the low pH would even affect either the fish or plants, but I'd really like to be able to work in the 6.6-7 range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:11 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
It sounds like this isn't the case, but just to make sure, because well water often has increased CO2, have you checked the water at least 24h after drawing it?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
It sounds like this isn't the case, but just to make sure, because well water often has increased CO2, have you checked the water at least 24h after drawing it?
Yes, the water in the tank has been there for 5 days now, and there has not been any CO2 injection at this point.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
What is your kH/gH coming out of the well? If it is anything but super soft on both then you have really acidic soil.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsaicin_MFK View Post
What is your kH/gH coming out of the well? If it is anything but super soft on both then you have really acidic soil.
Water from source is GH 60 mg/L and KH 30 mg/L.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode