Summer tank temps? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Summer tank temps?

I have a decent sized house with especially poor insulation, so I tend to keep my A/C set at a fairly high temp of 78-79 degrees. And I live in North Carolina, so ambient temperature dropping below that, at least during the day, is a rare cause for celebration.

As this will be my first full summer with high-tech planted tanks, I'm curious as to others' practices, especially those of y'all Southerners. Do you just unplug your heaters until September? Do you use chillers? Fans?

I have no shrimp or delicate fish, so I'm more concerned about fragile plants and mosses. With heat from lighting, I expect tank temps to spend the summer in as high as the 83-85 range during lighting periods. Come to think of it, maybe I should set lighting periods to nighttime hours. Anyway, thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
I have a decent sized house with especially poor insulation, so I tend to keep my A/C set at a fairly high temp of 78-79 degrees. And I live in North Carolina, so ambient temperature dropping below that, at least during the day, is a rare cause for celebration.

As this will be my first full summer with high-tech planted tanks, I'm curious as to others' practices, especially those of y'all Southerners. Do you just unplug your heaters until September? Do you use chillers? Fans?

With heat from lighting, I expect tank temps to spend the summer in as high as the 83-85 range during lighting periods. Come to think of it, maybe I should set lighting periods to nighttime hours. Anyway, thoughts?
Same situation as you. I used to run a 175W MH but stopped using it do to the increased added heat it created during the Summer. I now run the tank solely off natural light. I just deal with the summer temps now. My only form of cooling is air movement from fans. A chiller or fan would work and obviously at temps of 78-79 a heater would be superfluous. One thing you did not mention is the relative humidty which would play a role in the efficiency of evaporative cooling. I know from experience along certain portions of the coast humidity levels can be so high that dew can form at temps in the high 70's-low 80's. If you live in an area like that evaporative cooling would be compromised, a chiller might be the better option.
Never encountered a problem for the fish or plants at typically the temps I see of about 84F in the tank even during the few days when temps in the high 90's-104F last year.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I used to keep altums in a tank set @ 83 in a non-AC house. When it got really hot out I'd blow a fan across the top of the tank, which worked well.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I not exactly southern in Maryland but why un-plug you heaters if there set at 78 they won't come on. My tank is in a room that was originally a porch (Florida Room) with a concrete floor, this room has no AC/heat venting and we keep the AC set to 73 in summer. My tank always stays at 78 no matter what, I keep the curtain closed to let in little sun (north facing) I have used glass lids on the tank until recently and I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but if the tank temp rises this summer I will put them back in place. As we all know evaporation is a powerful cooling tool and I courious if this may be the difference as I see peoples complaints about rising summer temps that have never effected my tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I am not suggesting doing this but I used to put ice in my 130gal. when we did not have AC .

New90gal

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
I not exactly southern in Maryland but why un-plug you heaters if there set at 78 they won't come on.
The average heater's thermostat isn't a precision instrument. I'm in northwest Florida, and tanks that stay around 74-76F during cold spells still have the heater cycling on and tank temps rising to 80-82F when warm weather returns unless unplugged. So I unplug tank heaters when I turn on the house AC.

Of course if your heater DOES have a precision thermostat, no harm in leaving plugged in.

Eheim Pimp #459 - 2213, 2234
SunSun Pimp #47 - (Perfect) HW302
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I saw a solution involving evaporation fans on page 16 http://www.aqua-medic.com/downloads/...ct-Catalog.pdf

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRS View Post
The average heater's thermostat isn't a precision instrument. I'm in northwest Florida, and tanks that stay around 74-76F during cold spells still have the heater cycling on and tank temps rising to 80-82F when warm weather returns unless unplugged. So I unplug tank heaters when I turn on the house AC.

Of course if your heater DOES have a precision thermostat, no harm in leaving plugged in.
I've never had that problem and I just use el chepo Marineland heaters.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode