Vet new dosing regimen please? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Vet new dosing regimen please?

Well, if you don't know just ask, right? The algae and the tank seems to be under control so far, but I'm started to get tired of constantly testing and wanting to try the estimative thing. I started with WolfenxXx's (Craig?) form (great post!) and tweaked it a bit. One thing I'm having trouble understanding is the GREAT variation of Potassium dosing habits I've found. KNO3 (Nitrate source) and KH2PO4 (Phosphate source) seem to be pretty consistent.

This is a 55 gallon tank with a 3-4" deep kitty litter substrate (I want to break the tank down and replace the substrate with eco-complete this summer,) 4x55 AHS lighting (4wpg) and pressurized CO2 with an automatic controller set to 6.7.

KH out of the tap is 1-2, I try to keep it at 4-5 with the addition of baking soda. Right at the moment it's 4.5. GH was 6 a couple of days ago, water authority report says Ca (calcium) ranges 12.4-17.5 and Mg (magnesium) 3.29-5.00 (mg/l). 0 iron.

So here's the plan:

Sunday: 50% water change- add 1 tsp baking soda; 2 tsp Mg (epsom salts, may not be necessary); 1/2 tsp KNO3; 1/2 tsp K2SO4; 3 ml KH2P04 (3.5 teaspoons in 250 ml water solution)
Tuesday/Thursday: Same except no soda or Mg.

Monday/Wednesday/Friday: add 10 ml Trace (1 Tablespoon in 250 ml water); 3 ml Flourish Fe (plan to get some chelated iron from Greg Watson)

Skip Saturday, Sunday start over.

Here's the tank at the moment so as to give you an idea of how heavily planted it is. No comments on the aquascaping, as there isn't any ; at the time I was more concerned with trying to get the plants out of the bucket in which they'd spent the prior month. Wasn't a whole lot left, I had to work with what I had (forget buying plants locally, can't be done,) and did not at the time have the funds to order anything. I also apologize for the lack of quality of the photo, my poor little Fujifilm MX-1200 digital is almost 6 years old. I think digicams are a bit better now ... something else to upgrade.

Well, how's it sound? Is it a plan or still need some tweaking?

Slinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:54 AM

Looks like a good plan to me. I'm too lazy to do the math. What do those NPKs come out to in ppm/perdose for your tank?

Marcel
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Assuming approximately 45 gallons (the substrate is around 4" deep) and using Chuck's calculator N=10.1ppm P=.84 (.28 per ml) K=14.75 (6.83-KNO3 and 7.92-K2SO4). K's a bit low. Might need to bump that up to 3/4 tsp which would bring the total ppm to 18.72 (11.89 from K2SO4) which is a bit closer to what I understand to be the goal of 20ppm without going over. Trying to keep the measuring aspects as simple as I can, if it gets too involved I'll be less likely to keep up with it over time. Man! I hate math ! Thank the gods for the person who invented cheap electronic calculators! (and Chuck for his nutrient calculator; I wouldn't even know where to start!)

Slinte!
Cindy

-
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cindy I have done a lot of research for my 45 gallon and here is how my regimen differs from yours.

Day 1: water change and 1/2 tsp KNO3 and 1mL Fleet enema (1mL should provide 1ppm)
Day 2: 10mL trace (same as you)
Day 3: 1/4 tsp KNO3 and 0.5mL Fleet
Day 4: same as day 2
Day 5: same as day 3
Day 6: same as day 2
Day 7: have ales and enjoy tank.

To raise kH: crushed coral in cannister. Extra iron: none. Extra K (other than KNO3): none. Extra Mg: none.
Your CO2 looks good.
So there are some discrepancies; ie I am dosing half as much KNO3 and phosphate on days 3 and 5 than on day 1. But your tank is a bit bigger, and remember it's an estimative index. I am happy with my results thus far. I am actually thinking of adding some Mg to my trace mix, BTW.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I like day 7 (except I prefer a lager ). Our water has zero iron which is why I'm planning on adding the stuff, and who knows how much if any is leaching into the water column from the kitty litter substrate ?

Slinte!
Cindy

-

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
I like day 7 (except I prefer a lager ).
Ahhhh... a dilemma that was once entertained by Kim Mitchell.

I have since caught up on some of the recent posts and so now I am aware of the posting by Wolfenxxx that I think you are basing your regimen on. Anyway keep us posted on how things progress. The EI is working out well for me, mostly in the sense that I am in the process of tearing off the roof and adding a bathroom upstairs; thus I don't have a lot of spare time for excessive testing.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
Cindy I have done a lot of research for my 45 gallon and here is how my regimen differs from yours.

Day 1: water change and 1/2 tsp KNO3 and 1mL Fleet enema (1mL should provide 1ppm)
Day 2: 10mL trace (same as you)
Day 3: 1/4 tsp KNO3 and 0.5mL Fleet
Day 4: same as day 2
Day 5: same as day 3
Day 6: same as day 2
Day 7: have ales and enjoy tank.

To raise kH: crushed coral in cannister. Extra iron: none. Extra K (other than KNO3): none. Extra Mg: none.
Your CO2 looks good.
So there are some discrepancies; ie I am dosing half as much KNO3 and phosphate on days 3 and 5 than on day 1. But your tank is a bit bigger, and remember it's an estimative index. I am happy with my results thus far. I am actually thinking of adding some Mg to my trace mix, BTW.
Rose, the tank looks good and if you stick with the schedule it should work fine for you. My regimen is just about the same as Jart's. I do the 1/2 teaspoon on NO3 on day one, but dose 1/4 on Tues and Thurs. I did start adding about 1 ppm po4 on tues and thurs and that seems to be really helping out my plants, and its getting rid of my green spot algae...oh and no other forms of algae in there (that I can see...my otos are still fat though)

Re-boot!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 01:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
My regimen is just about the same as Jart's.
So Dawgger I would assume you are holding off on any extra iron and just observing the plants for signs of deficiencies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
...my otos are still fat though
Cute little gluttons, ain't they?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 05:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

As far as iron goes, I actually give about 1-2 ml from a dropper bottle the days I dose my micros...my R. magenta is a bright fuschia and my R. glandulosa is a deep purple. I suppose this is a combo of high phosphate and regular iron "shots".

Re-boot!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Well, I actually started this regimen yesterday as I decided I wanted to do the pruning/vacuuming/water change on Fridays so that the tank would be nice and sparkly for the weekends. I did up the dose on the potassium to 3/4 tsp. Guess I'll know if I have issues with that. I took pix (as best I could) of "day 1" and plan to keep a pictorial record 5 days apart to see if there's any significant changes. I believe I figured out what the main prob is with my camera (besides being dated,) since it's basically just a point-n-shoot it's attempting to focus on the glass in whole tank shots which makes everything behind it slightly out of focus (maybe I can get a new one for my b-day in a few weeks.) For some reason this doesn't seem to be an issue on closer shots however. I'm also going to try to keep my hands off the tank between times so I won't be stirring up the substrate ; I keep wanting to tinker with it! The tank will probably do a lot better when it warms up consistently so that I can either go out in my shop and tinker with wood instead or go riding, heh.

Slinte!
Cindy

-

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Well, I actually started this regimen yesterday as I decided I wanted to do the pruning/vacuuming/water change on Fridays so that the tank would be nice and sparkly for the weekends. I did up the dose on the potassium to 3/4 tsp. Guess I'll know if I have issues with that. I took pix (as best I could) of "day 1" and plan to keep a pictorial record 5 days apart to see if there's any significant changes. I believe I figured out what the main prob is with my camera (besides being dated,) since it's basically just a point-n-shoot it's attempting to focus on the glass in whole tank shots which makes everything behind it slightly out of focus (maybe I can get a new one for my b-day in a few weeks.) For some reason this doesn't seem to be an issue on closer shots however. I'm also going to try to keep my hands off the tank between times so I won't be stirring up the substrate ; I keep wanting to tinker with it! The tank will probably do a lot better when it warms up consistently so that I can either go out in my shop and tinker with wood instead or go riding, heh.
Actually, you may want to get in there when you do your next major cleaning and really vacuum up the gravel well, and get rid of as much debris you can...that helped me out a lot. Good luck with it and let us know how its going.

Re-boot!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Did that yesterday . Vacuumed the heck out of it. The grungy water that came out of it went into my potted ivy by the front entry. I'm sure the ivy will be very appreciative. I also stirred up as much as I could, ran the Vortex, did the water change, recharged and ran the Vortex again, then after everything had settled down did the first dosing. The water remains very, very, clear this morning . After doing all that I did not think it would be a good idea to clean the filter too. I'll do that next week.

Slinte!
Cindy

-

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Did that yesterday . Vacuumed the heck out of it. The grungy water that came out of it went into my potted ivy by the front entry. I'm sure the ivy will be very appreciative. I also stirred up as much as I could, ran the Vortex, did the water change, recharged and ran the Vortex again, then after everything had settled down did the first dosing. The water remains very, very, clear this morning . After doing all that I did not think it would be a good idea to clean the filter too. I'll do that next week.

My mom asks me to bring over fish poop water all the time for her plants...they're growing so fast she can't control them!!

Re-boot!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Assuming approximately 45 gallons (the substrate is around 4" deep) )
When making these calculations, calculate for the "whole" tank 55g, ignore subtrate, for lighting and fert measurments.

Your regimen looks good, Let us know how it is going, should improve things drastically

Craig

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:05 AM

Just curious, for those that posted above, which days and how much do you feed your fish? Also, what kind of micros/traces are you adding?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode