Potassium and Calcium Woes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Potassium and Calcium Woes

Hi Guys,
Well i previously had potassium troubles, so started potassium. Ofcourse then i ran into calcium uptake troubles. Halved my dosage of potassium, still had calcium troubles. I am now down to adding K when i add nitrates via KNO3. Anbd guess what, i am still having calcium troubles, all my new leaves are stil curling!!!!!!!!!!! So what am i to do??? Do i just add calcium to combat the increased potassium levels??? I have to add the nitrates, which means potassium has to be added, so if i add calcium, will that rectify the problem or just cause another problem somewhere else???

Thanx guys

25gal in progress, just deciding on lighting and then its full steam ahead!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Whats you're gh readings in the tank? lets start there.

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to rayhwong
Yes, measure your GH first! You might just be lacking Ca and therefore you wont have a K overdose issue.

If you GH is high then:
If you stop dosing potassium or decrease teh amount, tehres still potassium from your previous dosing. It can still be sky high and you wouldnt know how much you have. I wuold use Tom Barr's method and "reset" your nutrient levels by doing large water changes and dosing only the new water to the right levels. I wuold only dose potassium to 10ppm and move up from there later on.
Also measure your GH. If its below 3 I would buy some Turbo Calcium and dose your new water until its about 6GH. You can mix all this in a big tub or bucket and test it.
As you keep replacing your tank water with correctly adjusted new water, you should lose teh curling problems.
With Tom Barr's method you can never overdose and lead to the calcium problem since you are only dosing the amount to the new water you are adding. If you dose your whole tank, you can overdose since you dont know much is already in there.
You might be missing another nutrient as well and cause K+ to build up.
How big is your tank? You can add crushed coral to help add Ca into your water.

Ray

Eheim Pimp #91
Tank Information: 100 gallon TruVu, white play sand, Eheim 2028pro2 and 2026pro2, 2X96W PC 6700K and 2X55W PC GE 9325K, Pressurized CO2, Eheim autofeeder

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you DO need to add calcium, the cheaper alternative to TurboCalcium is plain Calcium Chloride as Ice Melts. The shipping from east coast to CA costs twice as much as the product itself, I got 50lb, should last me a lifetime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok just did GH, and the reading was 100mg/L or about 5.6dH (i think) which im guessing comes in The slightly Hard category, so maybe its not calcium causing the problem.

Ok So my fert and tank maintenance routine. I do 50% water change weekly. To the tank i add 5-10ppm nitrates per week, which then makes pottassium added ~3-6ppm per week, about 0.15ppm Iron (edta chelated) per week and then micros. My Phosphates usually stays at about 0.1ppm, pH at the moment is 6.6-6.8, KH is 60 ppm which makes co2 levels around 18-25ppm.

Tank is 10gal, with swords, polysperma, ambulia, glosso, wisteria and another unknwn plant. Only sword and polysperma show curling (sword has root tabs under it as well).

Ok anything else ya need??? i havent dosed potassium on its own for weeks and weeks, only with the nitrates

Thanx

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
What are your symptoms?
What kind and how much Lighting?
Phosphates look way too low, i'd increase to at least 1ppm.
How are you dosing micros? How much and what kind?

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Symptoms - new leaves curling on polysperma, and sword
Lighting- 90 watts CF lighting (household type)
Micros- aqua master plant food, dose as instructed on bottle.
Phosphates are at 1ppm, i made a mistake, sorry.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode