Best budget test kits?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Best budget test kits??

I am a newbie to planted tanks and am looking into updating my test kits. I currently have an (expired I'm sure) Aquarium Pharmacuticles freshwater test kit I bought a few years ago at a local "big box" pet store. I have been reading several posts on this board and most are recommending Lamotte test kits. These kits are very expensive! I know the accuracy of the tests may be best with the Lamotte kits, but I would like to see what everyone thinks is the best "budget" alternative and conversely what are some kits to stay away from. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Red Razor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I like the Aquarium pharm kits for Gh, Kh,Ph,Nitrate. Most of the cheap phosphate kits are difficult to read, the only phosphate kit that I've used that I like is the Lamotte kit.

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
I was pretty happy with Red Sea's Phosphate kit.

Other than that I agree with Marcel. I don't like the AP Nitrate kit because it doesn't have a good resolution in the low range that's important for planted tanks, but if you don't want to spend the money for a LaMotte it gives you a rough idea if you are out or over.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:03 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Red Sea's phosphate kit is the best of the less expensive phosphate test kits available. Pretty accurate and reliable. I wish I could say the same for their nitrate kit.

LaMotte has become the "gold standard" nitrate test kit as of late, but the AP will work, just consider what Wasserpest has previously mentioned.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

AP kit from PetSolutions

I got a new AP kit from PetSolutions for $11 that has ammonia (salycilate test with 2 bottles), nirite, nitrate, pH. high pH. It is missing the KH and GH but has the nitrate which is very nice. After a year I decided my tap was pretty stable in KH and GH and my tanks are too.

Member AGA, HAS, NASH
110G, 10 adult discus, barebottom with plants on wood
58G, 3 adult discus, barebottom with plants on wood
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Red Sea's phosphate kit is the best of the less expensive phosphate test kits available. Pretty accurate and reliable. I wish I could say the same for their nitrate kit.

LaMotte has become the "gold standard" nitrate test kit as of late, but the AP will work, just consider what Wasserpest has previously mentioned.

Mike
I just got the Red Sea Nitrate kit and its horrible !

I like the AP kit.

Nick

* Eheim Pimp Club Member No. 97 *

65 gallon, Eheim 2128,Eheim 2026, Hagen surface extractor, 18 watt UV Turbo Twist, M3 Pressurized CO2, 5 lb CO2 tank, AM 1000 Reactor, Laterite, river gravel mix.

90 gallon under construction. Eheim 2128, Eheim 2026, Coralife 4x65W, AM 1000 reactor, JBJ Pressurized CO2, 5 lb CO2 tank, Turbo Twist 6x UV, No substrate yet.

AGA Member. The Barr Report Member.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 03:11 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
There you go!

Another dissatisfied Red Sea nitrate test kit user. I think I may take some time and contact them about the rash of bad kits out there. I have been through at least four of them myself.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
So for the budget minded...
AP will be the best bang for your buck but I have never seen the phosphate kit or a KH kit... So get the PH, NO3 where you can.

I've been happy with the Hagen PO4 and GH/KH kits. Have to go to reefer stores in the Bay Area to find them though.

The AP nitrate kit is not as accurate but you can tell what ball park your tank is running. Just a word of warning though... Remeber to shake regent #2 per the instructions. It makes a difference! Trust me.

The rest of the master kit AP supplies will go un used and go bad so IMO it's not needed when running a planted tank...

Good luck!

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode