What's the appropriate swing in temp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
What's the appropriate swing in temp?

With the advent of digital thermometers, it's easy to have temp readings down to a 10th of a degree.

Any ideas on what a good swing in temp is? Certainly staying pegged on your target temp to a tenth of a degree would seem ideal. I also assume that's not achievable with most of the equipment we use.

Depending on when I take a reading, my temperature can fluctuate around .8 of a degree Fahrenheit. I assume this is good, but I don't know. Opinions?

What is a "good" or acceptable fluctuation?

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
During the summer the water temp in my office tank can swing from 80-88° during the day with no visible signs of distress to either fish or plants. Just figure than in a pond/lake or slow moving stream a fish will be subject to much quicker temp changes just by swimming from a sunny area into a shaded one.

—Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Same with me in the summer. PC lighting is so hot and intense...but I don't see any stress with my fish...just more activity.

Right now, my roommate and I are trying to keep our power bill as low as possible so our thermostat is set at 66. So my heater actually turns on at night to keep the temp at about 76-77. During the day with the lights on it will go up to about 78.8 or so (I splurged on one of those coralife digi thermometers).

Re-boot!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
A digital thermometer reading will fluctuate too when the water temp doesn't. I've got three of those digital Coralife thermometers and tested them all on one aquarium, probes placed in the same spot.

Most of the time they are all dead even or 0.1° off of each other. Then sometimes there could be up to 0.8° difference between two.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Thanks folks. So it sounds like...

1) A swing of a few degrees doesn't seem to matter.
2) Even quite a few degrees is still OK (and BTW bharada, by taking a look at your awesome tanks, I'm certain you know of what you speak! )
3) You can't trust all digital thermometers anyway.

I suppose that 0.8 swing is OK. Ooorrr, it could be the only thing that's changing is the thermometer reading!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode