questions on adjusting gh and kh - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
questions on adjusting gh and kh

I've been running my tanks very soft--gh 5-7, kh around 3, but have 1 tank I'd like to run hard enough to keep brichardi. I've removed all the old fish prior to adjusting the tank for the new ones.

How rapid an adjustment can the plants take? Can I adjust it all at once, or do I need to do it over a period of days or weeks?

I'm also wondering if I'll have any surprises in store in terms of how the tank uses nutrients, produces algae,etc.

I used a list of brackish adaptable plants to decide what to put in the tank. I figured if it could handle brackish it could take hard, alkaline water. If there's an error in my thinking, please let me know.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:18 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
I don't think you'll have a problem adjusting it all at once as long as there's no fish in there. There are very few plants that won't grow in hard water. But if you're talking brackish as in sodium then you might have some problems with certain plants.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Your water is fine for keeping the Brichardi..or most any plant.I keep one in my 55g w/gh:7/ kh:3 ph:6.8 to 7ish
I've had him for almost 2 years, his tank mates consist of rams, angels, rainbow sharks, festivums, a few tetra and platy, he even has teeth...
Dug him a hole under one of the logs in the tank. thats his spot...

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Marcel. That's what I needed to know. I'm not using brackish, I just figured anything that could handle that could take hard, alkaline water.

Brichardi, for those who aren't familiar with them, are a Lake Tanganyika cichlid and have an interesting reproductive pattern. A pair will claim a small patch of rock for a territory, and while not really agressive towards other fish, will drive other fish from their turf. The first spawn is usually pretty small, but when the fry mature, they aren't driven off. Instead they stay and help raise/guard larger, subsequent spawns. The parents will move out a little to expand the territory. With each batch, the parents expand the territory, the larger siblings move outward guarding an inner rim, and the youngest stay with the eggs.

They're not a flashy fish, but they are somewhat elegant in appearance. They're an old favorite of mine and I've missed having them around the last few years. Since I've added some tanks back to my collection, it was time to bring some back home. Also, they're a lot easier on plants than many cichlids.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

That's the fish Craig! They're my favorite African cichlid.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
They are very beautiful and graceful, my favorite african by far also

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode