my tap water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Wei
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wei
my tap water

I got my first test kits in today.. All Aquarium Pharm and Red Sea for Phosphate...

pH - 8.6
Ammonia - 1 ppm
NitrIte - 0 ppm
NitrAte - 0 ppm
kH - 7.0 degrees
gH 0 8.0 degrees
PO4 - 0 ppm

I've been using proper pH to adjust my water to pH 7.0, but now that I've decided to go plants I can't use that as it is a phosphate buffer. Is there any way to use my tap water with these parameters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Your tap water is fine for plants, nearly perfect really. The ammonia is most likely from Chloramines from the public water treatment, nothing to worry about. You can neutralize it with some Chlorine/Chloramine blocker. Are you planning to use CO2?

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If that is fresh tap water, you also want to test after 24 hours.

Member AGA, HAS, NASH
110G, 10 adult discus, barebottom with plants on wood
58G, 3 adult discus, barebottom with plants on wood
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The pH seems a little high for a Kh of only 7 degrees. My rested tap pH is 7.8, dKh of 8.0

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Wei
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.lemay
Your tap water is fine for plants, nearly perfect really. The ammonia is most likely from Chloramines from the public water treatment, nothing to worry about. You can neutralize it with some Chlorine/Chloramine blocker. Are you planning to use CO2?
Yes I am planning on injecting Co2. I have a JBJ all in one on order. Its perfect for plants, but the pH is too high for my fish right?

I did not know I had to let it sit. So just leave it in a glass for 24hrs then test? I guess Ill have new results tomorrow then. Thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Algae Grower

What is "normal" pH of TAP water?

I am going to interject here with a related discussion. What would be a 'normal' parameter for tap water? I'm measuring mine at 7.4pH and my aquarium is at 7.6pH after 25%changes and then slowly increases over a week to pH 7.7. This seems very strange to me, I would have expected tap water pH to be closer to 7 but from what I am reading it can vary quite a bit. Also, what would be causing the pH to increase in my tank? I have a 55gal with about 60lbs of eco-complete in it. I've read previously that there is some hear-say about eco raising the pH but no one seems to know for sure.

I'm setting up a pressurized CO2 system this weekend so I am pretty confident that I can bring the pH down to the 6.5 to 7.0 bracket not before too long.

I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on this matter.
LFL
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

There really isn't a normal parameter for tapwater. It is dependent on what the city adds to it, which is reflected to a small degree in what you've been able to detect from the kits.

Don't have experience w/Eco-complete, so can't comment on it. Is there anything else in the tank which might be buffering it (rocks, misc. decor, etc.)?

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

The only thing in the tank is a huge piece of driftwood and its supporting base
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Wei
Algae Grower

Ok after letting my water rest here are my tests. BTW i let it rest a little more than 24 hrs is that ok?

rested tap:
pH - ~between 8.0 and 8.2
kH - 7 degrees

my tank:
pH - ~ 7.2
kH - 8 degrees

I going ot start injecting Co2 as soon as aquariumplants.com actually ships my JBJ regulator.. ordered it on the 14th and it still hasnt been shipped. What would be a good starting point as far as bubble count. etc?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
ditch the "proper pH ". Use only CO2 to adjust ph, nothing else.ok, I reread your post, you already know that

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

Letting the water rest for 24 hours before you test it is fine.

As for starting points, try going w/1 bps and see how it goes.

Eric

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

go slow

I suggest going much slower than 1bps at the start, like maybe 1 bubble every 2 or 3 seconds. Just for a day, then start increasing. What you are looking for is the pH drop that tells you that your (very unique) tank has the correct CO2 levels. Fish may be disturbed at the start, as the oxygen is not all that much yet and the CO2 is more than they are accustomed to. So, go slow.

Member AGA, HAS, NASH
110G, 10 adult discus, barebottom with plants on wood
58G, 3 adult discus, barebottom with plants on wood
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode