UV Steriilizers and Iron.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
UV Steriilizers and Iron..

Hi Folks
I have been running a turbotwist 9w on my 70 for a couple of weeks now and I have been fighting with keeping my trace iron up or even a reading at all. If I test my 15 tall with florabase no problem I always get a nice reading around .2, my tap water is about .1 btw.
Now I have read that uv steri's might oxidize trace elements , anybody have any real proof? Since I turned it off I have been able to keep a measureable level around .1.
I got the uv because of a Jobes inspired green water outbreak. Maybe it was a trace element crash that helped ? I 'm stumped , I thought it was the test kit but It works well on my other tanks.

I dose using pmdd minus the nitrate which I don't need. I have had to start dosing iron using some kent iron supplement I had and I was already dosing massive trace.
Am I crazy or is the uv really screwing with my trace?

Pmdd is supposed to be dosed enough until you get iron reading of around.1 to.25 right?
2 T5 HO (54watt) and 3 T12 (40watt).
My params are this
Ph 6.6
KH 80ppm
Nitrate 20
iron 0
phosphate 0
Here is the tank so you get an idea of plant density. (lots of cabomba)

15 tall
with pressurized c02 jebo 828 , 9w turbotwist uv. up-aqua co2 atomizer16/22
& small yoyo and striata loaches and praecox rainbows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
There is some evidence that UV radiation can alter the state of iron in the water column, but a lot of us run our sterilizers 24/7 and don't have any iron deficiency problems. I believe there is a lot we still need to learn about the various states of iron in the water and how the plants are able to access it.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 12:09 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have read the same thing Sam has stated.

I have been dosing about 1.5ml of ferrous gluconate (equal to about 3ml of Flourish Iron) three times a week to compensate for the UV and find I get some algae on my glass I believe is a result of too much iron. I should cut back and watch my results.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have been running my 65G tank with a 18W UV-2 Tetra Pond sterilizer for 4 years now. I chose 18W because of dwell times vs Flow.

My regular (weekly) additions of Iron yielded ZERO measurable iron in my tank during these four years.

Of course, I have never had any form of algae, or other parasite. I have not lost a fish in those four years either !

The plants however are not as green as they should be. I believe that the iron deficiency is to blame.

I am now in the process of using one of those programable timers to limit the UV light to 48hrs / week. I plan to put the iron trace after the 48 hr UV treatment.

I will report the results here.

* Eheim Pimp Club Member No. 97 *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

65 gallon, Eheim 2128,Eheim 2026, Hagen surface extractor, 18 watt UV Turbo Twist, M3 Pressurized CO2, 5 lb CO2 tank, AM 1000 Reactor, Laterite, river gravel mix.

90 gallon under construction. Eheim 2128, Eheim 2026, Coralife 4x65W, AM 1000 reactor, JBJ Pressurized CO2, 5 lb CO2 tank, Turbo Twist 6x UV, No substrate yet.

AGA Member. The Barr Report Member.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode