• 1 Post By Nick1997
  • 1 Post By Nick1997
  • 3 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mixing RO water

Hello! I have a very irritating issue. My water comes with at least 40ppm nitrates out of the tap. We’re gonna contact the water company as I don’t actually think that’s safe to drink. But I had a question about using it in my tanks.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get an RO unit, and mix some regular tap water with the RO water to bring down the nitrates. As I understand it RO strips the water of everything, making it uninhabitable to freshwater fish. It also drops the ph, which would shock my current fish for sure. I’ve read of people remineralizing RO water to make it safe for fish, but would mixing 50/50 RO and tap have the same effect? Is there any way to bring the ph of that mixture back up to where my fish are at now safely? I have a few very densely planted tanks right now, and they never get below 40ppm nitrates and water changes don’t help. Does anyone have any experience with RO water in planted tanks that might help? Thanks a lot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1997 View Post
Hello! I have a very irritating issue. My water comes with at least 40ppm nitrates out of the tap. Weíre gonna contact the water company as I donít actually think thatís safe to drink. But I had a question about using it in my tanks.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get an RO unit, and mix some regular tap water with the RO water to bring down the nitrates. As I understand it RO strips the water of everything, making it uninhabitable to freshwater fish. It also drops the ph, which would shock my current fish for sure. Iíve read of people remineralizing RO water to make it safe for fish, but would mixing 50/50 RO and tap have the same effect? Is there any way to bring the ph of that mixture back up to where my fish are at now safely? I have a few very densely planted tanks right now, and they never get below 40ppm nitrates and water changes donít help. Does anyone have any experience with RO water in planted tanks that might help? Thanks a lot
You'll definitely bring the Nitrates down. You'll also be dilluting , calcium, mangesium and other trace minerals that your aquarium will need. You can use GH boosters to add the what you need into your RO water. Something like this. Bring it to your desired parameters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Quote:
Hello! I have a very irritating issue. My water comes with at least 40ppm nitrates out of the tap. We’re gonna contact the water company as I don’t actually think that’s safe to drink. But I had a question about using it in my tanks.

I was wondering if it would be possible to get an RO unit, and mix some regular tap water with the RO water to bring down the nitrates. As I understand it RO strips the water of everything, making it uninhabitable to freshwater fish. It also drops the ph, which would shock my current fish for sure. I’ve read of people remineralizing RO water to make it safe for fish, but would mixing 50/50 RO and tap have the same effect? Is there any way to bring the ph of that mixture back up to where my fish are at now safely? I have a few very densely planted tanks right now, and they never get below 40ppm nitrates and water changes don’t help. Does anyone have any experience with RO water in planted tanks that might help? Thanks a lot
You'll definitely bring the Nitrates down. You'll also be dilluting , calcium, mangesium and other trace minerals that your aquarium will need. You can use GH boosters to add the what you need into your RO water. Something like this. Bring it to your desired parameters.
Does that have any effect on the PH? I’m brand new to the idea of RO water, I always thought it was pretty much a nono for freshwater. If I reconstitute the water with something like that is straight RO water ok to use? I just know that it strips everything that you said and brings ph way down. Pardon my noobness
Econde likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 03:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Does that have any effect on the PH? Iím brand new to the idea of RO water, I always thought it was pretty much a nono for freshwater. If I reconstitute the water with something like that is straight RO water ok to use? I just know that it strips everything that you said and brings ph way down. Pardon my noobness
Nah you're fine. And yea a lot of hobbyists here use remineralized RO water with no problems. Most GH boosters work with just that, General Hardness. You'd have to add something like baking soda to raise KH if you needed to raise it at all. But if you do 50/50 like you're planning to, then replenishing the stripped GH will work just fine for you. Just do some more research in terms of remineralizing RO water and you'll do great. There's some golden ratio to how much calcium and magnesium you'll need in your water, that I have no idea about.

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econde View Post
Quote:
Does that have any effect on the PH? I’m brand new to the idea of RO water, I always thought it was pretty much a nono for freshwater. If I reconstitute the water with something like that is straight RO water ok to use? I just know that it strips everything that you said and brings ph way down. Pardon my noobness
Nah you're fine. And yea a lot of hobbyists here use remineralized RO water with no problems. Most GH boosters work with just that, General Hardness. You'd have to add something like baking soda to raise KH if you needed to raise it at all. But if you do 50/50 like you're planning to, then replenishing the stripped GH will work just fine for you. Just do some more research in terms of remineralizing RO water and you'll do great. There's some golden ratio to how much calcium and magnesium you'll need in your water, that I have no idea about.
Interesting. Looks like there’s ways to play around with reconstituting the RO water to the right parameters. I’ll do a ton more research and try it out. Thanks for the info
Econde likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Interesting. Looks like thereís ways to play around with reconstituting the RO water to the right parameters. Iíll do a ton more research and try it out. Thanks for the info
No problem! You also can get the minerals needed individually and make your own ratios. I use CaSO4, K2SO4, MgSO4 and a bit of CSM+B to boost my tap water by 2 DGH.

I followed the recipe from @somewhatshocked .

CaSO4- 58g / 54.48%
MgSO4- 37g / 34.75%
K2SO4- 11g / 10.33%
MnSO4- 0.16g / 0.15%
FeSO4- 0.30g / 0.28% ( This is where I use CSM+B to get trace elements)
Total 106.46g

7.5 Cube - shrimp tank
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
have you seen any issues with the tank with using the water now?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
have you seen any issues with the tank with using the water now?
Nope, no issues. But I’m wanting to dive into some more complex Dutch style scapes and wanna put together an iwagumi tank, and keep some more demanding and particular fish, and I see the excessive nitrates being an issue in all of those scenarios
Econde likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2020, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you are planning on a Dutch type tank, and going to the trouble to make RO water, then I would just go 100% RO.

Then you can control every single parameter.

And I would not worry about too much about the low pH. Myself and many others use RO with very little to no KH. Unless your fish stock is a known hard water species, most do just fine.

Here's a good article you might enjoy.

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/ph...jYIniT27bZ5CQg
rzn7z7, Quagulator and Econde like this.

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 11-16-2020 at 07:48 PM. Reason: typo
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 04:45 AM
Algae Grower

if your tap water is already hard, mixing with RO should be fine on its own. My gh/kh is high enough I do 30% water changes with a mix of about 80% RO and 20% tap. I don't add anything. My pH changes by about 0.2 at most.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode