3Likes
  • 1 Post By Jah410
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By Roboto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Emergency! Root tabs causing Ammonia spike???!!

I was trying to figure out why my plants were turning to mush and after some help here, it was suggested by several people that I use root tabs to fertilize. I used a small number of root tabs but perhaps I didn’t bury them deep enough? So now my ammonia is spiking. A shrimp died. I’ve done a 50% water change and vacuumed up as much of the pellets as possible. But the ammonia is still there! I’m using seachem prime to try to get rid of the ammonia. So far the tests are still showing the same amount of ammonia... could it be that the prime detoxifies ammonia but it’s still showing up in the test? I need HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-06-2020, 11:46 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTLady View Post
I was trying to figure out why my plants were turning to mush and after some help here, it was suggested by several people that I use root tabs to fertilize. I used a small number of root tabs but perhaps I didn’t bury them deep enough? So now my ammonia is spiking. A shrimp died. I’ve done a 50% water change and vacuumed up as much of the pellets as possible. But the ammonia is still there! I’m using seachem prime to try to get rid of the ammonia. So far the tests are still showing the same amount of ammonia... could it be that the prime detoxifies ammonia but it’s still showing up in the test? I need HELP!!!
What brand of root tabs?
varanidguy likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 12:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTLady View Post
I was trying to figure out why my plants were turning to mush and after some help here, it was suggested by several people that I use root tabs to fertilize. I used a small number of root tabs but perhaps I didnít bury them deep enough? So now my ammonia is spiking. A shrimp died. Iíve done a 50% water change and vacuumed up as much of the pellets as possible. But the ammonia is still there! Iím using seachem prime to try to get rid of the ammonia. So far the tests are still showing the same amount of ammonia... could it be that the prime detoxifies ammonia but itís still showing up in the test? I need HELP!!!
Our test kits are not able to sort ammonium from ammonia and Prime does not really "remove ammonia" but what they call "locks it up" as ammonium. So using Prime to avoid ammonia is not a good idea to my because you are still going to get a reading and how do you know you have really solved the ammonia problem?
I far prefer to actually remove the ammonia and then also work to solve the cause, rather than simply hiding the problem.
But a big question is what is in the root tabs and is that the source of ammonia/ammonium reading or is it possible there is something else going on like a dead fish over in a corner hiding out and decaying?
To truly remove ammonia, water changes are best but that needs to also have the problem of where it is coming from solved or you are just running in circles.
If you have water on hand which matches your tank well enough, I would suggest daily 50% water changes or more until getting things under control. There are those who say water changes are hard on livestock but it is rarely as hard as living in bad water.
varanidguy likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 06:14 PM
Algae Grower

Prime does detoxify, but not remove ammonia as plantedrich says.
You can use it daily and your fish should be safe, but also as plantedrich says doing big water changes (with same temperature and treated water) is your best course of action.
Your filter/tank should be converting the ammonia to nitrates though so depending on how strong your tank cycle is it might/should convert it all over some amount of time.
varanidguy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

The little pellets...I'm assuming perhaps you used Osmocote?

|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode