Cycling new shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Exclamation Cycling new shrimp tank

Hi all I'm setting up a 10 gallon caridina tank.
It seems like this cycle hasn't started at all. I used filter media from my other tank but it has nearly no fish in it.
Tank has plants spider wood and dragon stone.
Substrate 7 to 8lbs Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Rio Escuro-F Fine Black Volcanic Ash Substrate.

Temp 78

10/22
16 drops ammonia 10%
5 dgh
0 kh
pH 7
Tds before ammonia 94ppm.

10/25
1 to 2 ammonia added 12 drops ammonia
Nitrite 0
Tds 112

10/28
Ammonia 2 to 3 hard to tell
pH 6.8
Nitrite 0
Tds 116

10/30
Ammonia 1 to 2
pH 6.6
Nitrite 0
Tds 110

11/1
Ammonia 1 to 2
Nitrite 0
Didn't test pH.
Tds 110

11/4
Ammonia 1 to 2
Nitrite 0
pH yellow >6.0
Tds 113.

Should I do a water change to raise ph?
Never did a cycle with remineralized ro di water.
I've searched google can't find what to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 04:29 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Not familiar with your substrate and whether or not it buffers, but guessing it does from the description. I wouldn't advise bumping your pH, since the tank is going to be an acid environment (0 dKH). Aqua soil tanks take much longer to finish the nitrogen cycle than your typical aquarium, and plants are likely using some of the ammonia you've added. Nobody excited to set up a tank wants to hear this, but I wait 3 months before adding shrimp to a Caridina tank these days. It's probably overkill, but patience being a virtue is truer nowhere more than in a shrimp tank. Besides the nitrogen cycle, aging a tank for longer allows biofilm and periphyton to establish and gives time for your soil to "mellow out" and stabilize. Of course, you don't HAVE to age your tank as long as I do, but it can only help their chances. Nobody ever lost shrimp by maturing a tank too long.
Asteroid, Roboto and en7jos like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-04-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Not familiar with your substrate and whether or not it buffers, but guessing it does from the description. I wouldn't advise bumping your pH, since the tank is going to be an acid environment (0 dKH). Aqua soil tanks take much longer to finish the nitrogen cycle than your typical aquarium, and plants are likely using some of the ammonia you've added. Nobody excited to set up a tank wants to hear this, but I wait 3 months before adding shrimp to a Caridina tank these days. It's probably overkill, but patience being a virtue is truer nowhere more than in a shrimp tank. Besides the nitrogen cycle, aging a tank for longer allows biofilm and periphyton to establish and gives time for your soil to "mellow out" and stabilize. Of course, you don't HAVE to age your tank as long as I do, but it can only help their chances. Nobody ever lost shrimp by maturing a tank too long.
I figured it would take a while. Thanks for the info I'll just enjoy the plants in it ��. Getting some brown algae but just on some plants rocks so far.

I never heard of the substrate either was watching some YouTube videos of shrimp tank was hearing good things. I guess similar to ada but no ammonia leeching

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm getting some funny results on my cycle.
yesterday ammonia was at .25ppm so I added ammonia to get back to 2ppm. I've never seen nitrites appear but I just tested nitrates today for fun and I'm at 20ppm.
This is a new nitrite test I got says it's good till 2025.

Not sure what to believe maybe a fish store can check them for me.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 07:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Perhaps I'm a mean fishkeeper, but when I'm starting a new tank (using filter media from an established tank, so it's not really THAT mean) I have a team of danio's (I call them my military) in my quarantine tank that I put in the new tank for a month or two while the new tank gets established. This keeps a natural flow of ammonia and prevents stalled tank cycles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2020, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
So I'm convinced my nitrite test is bad. Ammonia is 0 nitrite 0 lots of nitrates ima do a large wc and see how fast ammonia disappears and where nitrates are.
I rather not buy another nitrite test kit

Did a 100%
Wc.
Dosed 3/4 ml ammonia I'm at 2 to 3 ppm.
Nitrate 0
Tds 86ppm
Gh 5
Kh 0

Last edited by latchdan; 11-24-2020 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Added specs

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode