Is SHRIMP KING SHRIMP SALT GH+/KH+ safe for human consumption? - The Planted Tank Forum
 13Likes
  • 2 Post By kozlany
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 3 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 3 Post By Bandit1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Is SHRIMP KING SHRIMP SALT GH+/KH+ safe for human consumption?

Hey, I'm using RO water and add "SHRIMP KING SHRIMP SALT GH+/KH+" to make it good for the fish.
Now 'm I wondering if I can use the old aquarium water with the minerals and use that for vegetables plants.
Couldn't find anything about it anywhere, would it be safe for human consumption?

I also already emailed Dennerle and they said this:

I’m not sure if I understand you question right.
You want to use the aquarium water, conditioned with SHRIMP KING SHRIMP SALT GH+/KH+ for vegetables for example?
If so, it is no problem!
All Dennerle Products are completely safe for aquatic animals which are much more sensitive than we humans are.
Aquarium water is perfectly suitable for all kinds of plants.

https://dennerle.com/en/products/nan...rimp-salt-ghkh

All you need are guppies, and snails...

Last edited by Desperado070; 10-29-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I mean even Prime (water conditioner) says it is safe for fish but we do know it ain't, it is pure poison.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Old aquarium water will be fine on plants outside. If they are potted you might get a mineral build up if you over do it but land plants use the same nutrients aquarium plants do. The stuff is so watered down it's a non issue.

Where I live my soil is very low in calcium and magnesium. I have to add it if I want to get any kind of crop.
Blue Ridge Reef and Econde like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 04:18 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
My gardens are regularly watered with my aquarium water, provided I haven't medicated. I thought Prime was sodium thiosulfate which isn't something you'd want to drink straight but is far from poison. In fact it's used for treating cyanide poisoning in humans and is on the WHO's list of safest and essential medicines. Interesting that you've read it's dangerous, would love a source to read further. Not arguing on the internet here, I'm genuinely curious.
Econde likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
My gardens are regularly watered with my aquarium water, provided I haven't medicated. I thought Prime was sodium thiosulfate which isn't something you'd want to drink straight but is far from poison. In fact it's used for treating cyanide poisoning in humans and is on the WHO's list of safest and essential medicines. Interesting that you've read it's dangerous, would love a source to read further. Not arguing on the internet here, I'm genuinely curious.
Double to say, yes prime is claimed to be safe for fish, otherwise they wouldn't be (able) to sell it.
But the problem with prime and "every other" water conditioner is that it is known to cause problems in fish.
Thing is, fish don't live 100 years like we do, if we lucky, so most sicknesses won't show, only in fish which get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozlany View Post
Old aquarium water will be fine on plants outside. If they are potted you might get a mineral build up if you over do it but land plants use the same nutrients aquarium plants do. The stuff is so watered down it's a non issue.

Where I live my soil is very low in calcium and magnesium. I have to add it if I want to get any kind of crop.
Was thinking of pot plants but those only live one year so don't think that would be a biggy.
But only heard good things so why not try it on me crops outside...

So these minerals are just natural? (no chemicals)

Last edited by Desperado070; 10-31-2020 at 02:02 AM. Reason: ...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Prime contains complexed hydrosulfite salts which removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime also converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form (ammonium) that is readily removed by the tank’s nitrifying bacteria.
Prime may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity.

Hydrosulfite is another which don't do good with living things.
From their own website, and what was that stuff called, that they shoot into body's after dead to keep the body good for extended amounts of time? That is also in prime hence why I say any water conditioner are pure poison.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 03:51 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado070 View Post
From their own website, and what was that stuff called, that they shoot into body's after dead to keep the body good for extended amounts of time? That is also in prime hence why I say any water conditioner are pure poison.
Formaldehyde? At any rate, before calling something pure poison, you have to know the solution strength of the said toxin, LD50 rate at its pure form, and much more. Apples and especially their seeds contain cyanide, avocados contain persin; many, many of the things we eat have safe amounts of technically "toxic" chemicals. And if dosing by instruction, you're only putting two drops of Prime per gallon of water. That's one part Prime to 37,854 parts water. And in virtually any case of a water change, it was added to the aquarium at least a week ago. Besides extreme dilution, the chemical reactions it goes through when added to chlorinated water, and breakdown of said chemical over time have to be factored in. I'm not saying that Prime is safe, but I am saying that if it was pure poison that it would not likely be safe to use on the most sensitive aquatic creatures that can kept in a glass box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desperado070 View Post
So these minerals are just natural? (no chemicals)
Important to point out here that all matter is made up of chemicals, whether natural or made in a lab. Water is H20, etc. Amanita mushrooms are as natural as organic life comes but can kill a human being who ingests even a tiny mushroom. Some organic pesticides are classified as more dangerous than their conventional counterparts; the chemical structure, not where it came from, determines toxicity.
Complexity, Bandit1200 and ElleDee like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2020, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post

Important to point out here that all matter is made up of chemicals, whether natural or made in a lab. Water is H20, etc. Amanita mushrooms are as natural as organic life comes but can kill a human being who ingests even a tiny mushroom. Some organic pesticides are classified as more dangerous than their conventional counterparts; the chemical structure, not where it came from, determines toxicity.

Many people unfortunately think Natural = Good and perfectly safe and Chemical = Bad. I have to remind people often that there are PLENTY of natural things that are really bad for you, and EVERYTHING is a chemical.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2020, 10:46 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have gone through this thread and removed several posts that are off topic/uncivil. Please keep the conversation respectful to all members.

Warnings have been handed out, and infractions will come next.

Back on topic, Prime does not contain formaldehyde, as far as I know. The SDS makes no mention of it:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iu6wapszk...S+20151222.pdf

It is a well known 'secret' that it contains sodium thiosulfate, to neutralize chlorine and chloramine. However, even this is not listed in the SDS, indicating it is in such low concentrations that it is not deemed hazardous in general use.

Compounds that are made naturally will be the same as those that are artificially made. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) that comes from an orange is the same as a pill that is made in the lab. Antibiotics are another example of a chemical compound that used to be artificially made, but is now artificially made, simply due to economical constraints and also concerns on purity.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode