Getting chlorine out of tap water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting chlorine out of tap water

So I have city water which of course has plenty of chlorine and chloramine. I am trying to make a shrimp tank which are very sensitive to water changes. I was to be able to fill a 5 gallon bucket and treat it with prime and seal it with a lid for when I have to use it. I only have a 10 gallon tank so water changes only get as big as 2 gallons so the 5 gallon tank will last a bit. Will sealing the bucket cause the chlorine to not be able to evaporate or once I treat it with prime and seal it it should be good for tank use for however long. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 03:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Seems to be some confusion on the question. first step might be to find out WHICH your tap water is treated with as it would be really unusual to have treated the water with both. Unless you are on a small private well, etc. there should be a water confidence report to let you look at what treatment is used.
That really can be step one to looking at alternate methods of getting the treatment used out of the water as chlorine can just be stored for a bit and let it gas off, while chloramine is designed to be more persistent, allowing the company to use less and still get the correct residual to the far points in the system.
But, if we assume you are not trying to avoid using Prime or some other treatment product, the treated water being stored is pretty much the same. I would not favor a totally sealed storage as water without movement tends to get stagnant and all the remaining minerals can do weird things if the water is not stirred a bit like with an air bubbler, powerhead, etc. Just better to not let it go that way, even if the result isn't something we can see or test. Scum can form on the top if not moving and that can lead to water with low O2 content. Kind of like leaving a glass of water setting out overnight tastes a bit "odd"?
Can you see a way to keep the water in the bucket but also keep it stirred? That is an option I use but on a much bigger bucket! When reaching a top of 13 tanks, I wanted lots of good clean water at the right temp for any emergency that came along or when I wanted to drain a tank down for catching fish to sell. I do have chloramine in the tap water, so I did continue to treat with a dechlor product but letting it set with a heater in a big barrel was great for times when I needed it. Keeping a powerhead to move the water to the surface to get the good stuff in and the bad gas out was fine for me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Chlorine does not evaporate. Instead, it reacts with Prime to form chloride, which remains dissolved in the water and is harmless.

You can keep the lid on.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
Chlorine does not evaporate. Instead, it reacts with Prime to form chloride, which remains dissolved in the water and is harmless.

You can keep the lid on.
Evaporate may be the wrong term but chlorine is considered a "volatile solute" in water and because of that will off-gas into the atmosphere over time.

In my experience with chlorine in municipal water supplies, there's not much chlorine if any once water hits a consumers tap. I'm sure there are instances and municipalities where that is not the case. Chlorine test strips are fairly cheap to test this.

Chloramines are a whole different ball of wax and are nasty, nasty little buggers that need to be addressed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2020, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
Evaporate may be the wrong term but chlorine is considered a "volatile solute" in water and because of that will off-gas into the atmosphere over time.
Not so much. Chlorine gas reacts with water to form hypochlorite and HCl: Cl2 + H2O <--> HOCl + H + Cl

The hypochlorite can further ionize into chlorite: HOCl <--> H + OCL

Under acidic conditions, you can drive this equilibrium to the left and re-form chlorine gas. However, in our aquaria, this is negligible, as we tend to keep water neutral to slightly alkaline, which drives the reaction to the right.

Source: Tchobanoglous, G. and E. Schroeder 1985. Water Quality. Addison-Wesley Publishing, Reading MA. 768 p.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 04:40 AM
Algae Grower

If you have more than one aquarium save yourself the money and get an RO system so you dont have to keep adding chemicals to stop chemicals. If you only have this one aquarium just fill up some 5 gallon jugs of Reverse Osmosis water at your local fish shop or water store and remineralize it to suit your inhabitants.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nicepoeci; 10-30-2020 at 05:09 AM. Reason: addition
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2020, 05:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Buy one of these for $60 and be done with it - they're great!
https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-.../dp/B00204CQF6

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode