remineralise ro water is 0 kh ok with aquasoil? - The Planted Tank Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
remineralise ro water is 0 kh ok with aquasoil?

hello, can you use seachem equilibrium on its own to remineralise ro water is it ok for plants etc, or do you need anything else
i don't keep specific fish or shrimp its mainly about the plants for me.
i heard that seachem equilibrium was better for plants then salty shrimp. i see no mention of kh on equilibrium, although using ADA AquaSoil should one even worry about kh?

also can i just switch from salty shrimp to seachem equilibrium with no problems to the plants?

Last edited by emilio246; 10-27-2020 at 06:00 AM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 09:26 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, remineralising with Equilibrium to increase GH (whilst keeping KH at zero) is the way to go. The main difference between Equilibrium and SS GH+ is that Equilibrium has LOTS of potassium in it whereas SS is almost pure GH with just a small amount of trace minerals.

Any KH you add will be absorbed by aquasoil bringing KH back to zero (or thereabouts) and reducing the life of the soil in the process.

Yes you can switch to Equilibrium with no issues, just take into account that you will now be adding lots of potassium with water changes so you may need to tweak your fert dosing accordingly.
Blue Ridge Reef and emilio246 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 03:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Yes, remineralising with Equilibrium to increase GH (whilst keeping KH at zero) is the way to go. The main difference between Equilibrium and SS GH+ is that Equilibrium has LOTS of potassium in it whereas SS is almost pure GH with just a small amount of trace minerals.

Any KH you add will be absorbed by aquasoil bringing KH back to zero (or thereabouts) and reducing the life of the soil in the process.

Yes you can switch to Equilibrium with no issues, just take into account that you will now be adding lots of potassium with water changes so you may need to tweak your fert dosing accordingly.
That is really good to know. On my tank I remineralize RO water to a gh of 7 using equilibrium, and still dose EI levels of NPK using potassium compounds. Can elevated potassium levels inhibit other nutrient uptake?

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post

interesting as i had always thought (having read here) that kh was important and keeping a kh of 0 was bad and could lead to ph crashes
and i dose with brighty k which already over doses on k and of which I'm aware infact raises kh
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 07:08 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
The soil buffers KH to 0, which should keep pH stable at just under 6.0.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what about with co2 injection at 30ppm what affect can this have with 0kh water
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 08:35 PM
snails are your friend

I use CO2 in some tanks, and use aquasoil in some tanks, but unfortunately as of yet haven't done both. My understanding is that the CO2 is about the same, but more difficult to track via pH drop. @Greggz has a high tech soil tank, perhaps he could chime in.
Greggz and Econde like this.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I use CO2 in some tanks, and use aquasoil in some tanks, but unfortunately as of yet haven't done both. My understanding is that the CO2 is about the same, but more difficult to track via pH drop. @Greggz has a high tech soil tank, perhaps he could chime in.
No problem injecting CO2 into basically zero KH water. I do it every day.

With very low or no KH, tank KH/pH swing during the week is minimal. In fact, I still use my pH controller as my KH/pH remains stable. Right now I am dropping pH down to 4.90 during the lighting period. Degassed is about 6.3 pH.

If KH was higher, soil would deplete that during the week and it would be more difficult to control CO2 injection. As KH goes down, so would pH. So relative pH drop would be difficult to measure properly. If that were the case, better to set a constant CO2 flow rate and not worry so much about where pH is. And yes, that is more difficult to control.

As to GH boosters like Seachem Equilibrium mentioned above, you are much better off just getting some CaSO4 and MgSO4. All GH boosters are basically a mix of Ca, Mg, and K. You don't necessarily want or need the extra K. Too much can interfere with uptake of other nutrients. You can also fine tune the mix of Ca to Mg. I've had more success with higher Mg than most boosters provide.

As to pH crashes due to low KH/pH, pretty much a myth. Here is a great article about it...............

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/ph...jYIniT27bZ5CQg

As to Brighty K, it's basically KHCO3 mixed with water. If you knew how much KHCO3 you can buy for the cost of one bottle of Brighty K, you would never buy it again. You are pretty much paying for water in a bottle.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---
---
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

With very low or no KH, tank KH/pH swing during the week is minimal. In fact, I still use my pH controller as my KH/pH remains stable. Right now I am dropping pH down to 4.90 during the lighting period. Degassed is about 6.3 pH.

If KH was higher, soil would deplete that during the week and it would be more difficult to control CO2 injection. As KH goes down, so would pH. So relative pH drop would be difficult to measure properly. If that were the case, better to set a constant CO2 flow rate and not worry so much about where pH is. And yes, that is more difficult to control.

As to GH boosters like Seachem Equilibrium mentioned above, you are much better off just getting some CaSO4 and MgSO4. All GH boosters are basically a mix of Ca, Mg, and K. You don't necessarily want or need the extra K. Too much can interfere with uptake of other nutrients. You can also fine tune the mix of Ca to Mg. I've had more success with higher Mg than most boosters provide.

As to pH crashes due to low KH/pH, pretty much a myth. Here is a great article about it...............

As to Brighty K, it's basically KHCO3 mixed with water. If you knew how much KHCO3 you can buy for the cost of one bottle of Brighty K, you would never buy it again. You are pretty much paying for water in a bottle.

thank you, very informative.
i use these products because there just simple, I'm to lazy to mix my own salts
Greggz likes this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2020, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilio246 View Post
thank you, very informative.
i use these products because there just simple, I'm to lazy to mix my own salts
If you ever did so, you would laugh at yourself for not doing it before when you figured out how easy it is.

---
---
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 09:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I asked the Green Aqua guys about this on a YouTube comment and they suggested using RO water, not RODI. They said they never had luck with RODI. Any thoughts or insights as to whether it ever makes sense to not deionize the water to remove KH?
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlca View Post
I asked the Green Aqua guys about this on a YouTube comment and they suggested using RO water, not RODI. They said they never had luck with RODI. Any thoughts or insights as to whether it ever makes sense to not deionize the water to remove KH?
Never tried DI but have heard the same thing.

And RO water comes out at zero KH, so no worries there.

Keep in mind planted tanks are different than reefs. We remineralize, and really anything close to RO is fine. Just saying coming out at 10 TDS or so would not be good for reef, but fine for us.

---
---
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-13-2020, 11:58 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Never tried DI but have heard the same thing.

And RO water comes out at zero KH, so no worries there.

Keep in mind planted tanks are different than reefs. We remineralize, and really anything close to RO is fine. Just saying coming out at 10 TDS or so would not be good for reef, but fine for us.
Oh ok -- that makes more sense now. I had it in my head that the DI removed KH. Thanks!
Greggz likes this.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 12:23 AM
snails are your friend

I use RO/DI because I bought my unit when I was into reef tanks. I've never heard not to use DI and am very curious as to any reason in the world they might have. I could see it being problematic if people were using it straight, but after remineralizing, I can't fathom there being much difference between two samples. But if there is science (or even compelling anecdotal evidence) I'd be happy to see if I could bypass my DI part of the unit. Just fewer cartridges to buy.
Greggz likes this.

post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-14-2020, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
hello, can you use seachem equilibrium on its own to remineralise ro water is it ok for plants etc, or do you need anything else
i don't keep specific fish or shrimp its mainly about the plants for me.
i heard that seachem equilibrium was better for plants then salty shrimp. i see no mention of kh on equilibrium, although using ADA AquaSoil should one even worry about kh?

also can i just switch from salty shrimp to seachem equilibrium with no problems to the plants?
Salty shrimp gh/kh+ is excellent for planted tanks. I use it in all my nano tanks and my plants grow faster than I can give them away. I use tropica specialized Fert in conjunction , perfect match.

Bump:
Quote:
what about with co2 injection at 30ppm what affect can this have with 0kh water
0kh plus co2 is bad news. IF soil is going to eat your buffer down to zero you need more kh.

16G Aquastar High Tech nicrew lit with dwarf rainbow and striata's
Aquastyle Ar380 9G custom 5730 leds and filter modded for plants and shrimp
4G low iron cube with custom zoomed nano 10 filter
12G Long with Oase thermo100 filter, JC&P 5730 full spec led strip

Tags
equilibrium, salty shrimp, seachem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode