remineralise ro water is 0 kh ok with aquasoil? - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-15-2020, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
LOL and he still hammers that home today! But that's not what people hear, as let's face it it's not as interesting as discussing dosing in minutiae.
My elbow grease is taming runners from plants that invade the spaces allocated for other species, and wiping down glass to remove green dust algae. I dip my co2 diffuser in 10% bleach for 10 min every 2 weeks. I wipe down my glass tops and plastic trim every week to avoid any "aquarium buildup" that might occur. I truly don't understand how people let things get out of hand, like when I see a tank completely covered in algae. The tank didn't get like that overnight, it took weeks of neglect before they took a picture and asked for help. By far the easiest thing to do is trim plants and add nutrients.
Greggz and Asteroid like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-15-2020, 09:27 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
@Capsaicin_MFK I think that's true if your tank is more or less balanced, but when something's way out of whack algae can get out of control pretty quickly. I know I have had an algae situation that took more than cleanliness to fix, and I feel for people who are new to the hobby, have a tank they just set up, a bunch of emersed plants they have no experience with, and maybe an active substrate or driftwood dumping organics.
Greggz likes this.
post #63 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-16-2020, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

Decades ago George Booth was often criticized for his tight adherence to Dupla methods and materials. His defense was that you cannot just take the parts you like from one system and combine them with parts from another system and expect the good results of either system. It is difficult to determine what individual element of a process is contributing to plant/fish health without taking into consideration all the components of a system.

And lets me honest... when we pick and chose elements from different systems and combine them into our own.... it is usually a cost-avoidance strategy... you take this cheap component/element from this system, combine it with cheap elements/components/processess from this system..... etc...

So, I appreciate it immensely when folks like Greggz (here on PlantedTank.net), George Booth, Tom Barr detail their entire systems for us... showing us the interactions and effects of everything they've employed to make their system a success.

Thank you all for taking the time to make such contributions... I'll continue reading and learning....
Greggz and ElleDee like this.

Peter
learning never stops...

post #64 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-17-2020, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
Decades ago George Booth was often criticized for his tight adherence to Dupla methods and materials.
I have to admit I had heard of George Booth but never really did much research about him. When you mentioned him I did some searching and ran across some great pics from many years ago. He had some beautiful tanks back in the day. Bonus was he had Rainbow Fish in many of them!

That let to me an article he wrote about injecting CO2, and that led to learning more about the Dupla'a "The Optimum Aquarium". And so on and so forth and a hour later I had a really good time going back in time.

Interesting that while some of the equipment and techniques are well dated, there are also some that held up very well.

So thanks for the reference. I enjoyed learning more about them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---
post #65 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-17-2020, 04:23 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
I have to admit I had heard of George Booth but never really did much research about him....
and that led to learning more about the Dupla'a "The Optimum Aquarium".

And so on and so forth and a hour later I had a really good time going back in time.
Interesting that while some of the equipment and techniques are well dated, there are also some that held up very well.
So thanks for the reference. I enjoyed learning more about them.
I still have my Optimum Aquarium Book!!

Here you can see some notes, as I was trying to determine if fluorescent lighting would work on my 120. (It did, I enjoyed that planted Discus tank).

And here I am... Nearly 30 years later... Mixing laterite and using Low Wattage undergravel heating cables in my new setup a few weeks ago. There's a technique that is well dated. I found 5 of them as brand-new old stock and just had to have them. Of course Dupla recommended 42v (that's what they sold), later that was reduced to 24v. Me, I'm not at all shy about using the the 110v Hydor versions. (I'm documenting the build in another thread... so showing this picture is jumping ahead of that thread... .but honestly, I've shown the whole system fully running.... so no big deal).

Greggz and Quagulator like this.

Peter
learning never stops...

Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 12-17-2020 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar
post #66 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-17-2020, 02:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
And here I am... Nearly 30 years later... Mixing laterite and using Low Wattage undergravel heating cables in my new setup a few weeks ago. There's a technique that is well dated. I found 5 of them as brand-new old stock and just had to have them.
Well this should be interesting. Very old school.

I look forward to following along.

---
---
post #67 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 08:19 AM

Well, I'm glad to see this is the top post on this section cause I came here looking for this.

I've been out of the hobby for awhile and finally came back and set up a planted tank, low tech and slowly started adding tech as I went. Use 5/2 ratio RODI to purified water because of the crap in my tap water. Had a great aquarium going, added CO2, was adjusting the levels for a few days and all of my invertebrates died in one day. Not thinking to test, I just did a fast water change and tried to figure out was going and then a few days later I had massive die off in one day again. I had a small ammonia spike which I gathered because of all the death, so I did several small water changes and then everyone else died but one. My tank completely cycled. So I moved my last fish to my hospital tank and finally measured my kH and stuff and I had 0 kH, 180 gH and pH of 6.0. I can only figure that I was having major pH swing from the addition of CO2 was ordered alkaline booster to buffer the kH but now I'm reading that shouldn't shift my pH?
post #68 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 02:50 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I still have my Optimum Aquarium Book!!

Oh man, what an influential book that was!

It led me to purchase a wet/dry filter, a CO2 set up, and those darn Dupla under-gravel heating cables; the wet/dry is gone and the cables are in storage somewhere

You must be enjoying success if you're still mixing up laterite and using cables in your substrates...congrats!
Greggz likes this.
post #69 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 04:25 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzn7z7 View Post
Oh man, what an influential book that was!
You must be enjoying success if you're still mixing up laterite and using cables in your substrates...congrats!
The system has just been put on-line a few weeks ago, so I have no idea.... JAJA. I think it indicates a cowardliness on my part, a reluctance to try the newer active substrates from ADA and such... Falling back to old school methods that imploy an inert substrate... and of course doing it across the board because I have a common system...

Regarding Dosing... for the next month I'm just employing two liquid fertilizers from BrightwellAquatics for the system (FishNook is roughly 95-100gallons for all display tanks, sumps, uvfilter)... Florin-K (potassium supplement) 10ml twice a week and then FlorinMulti (iron/iodine) 10ml once a week for the system. All part of the break-in... As I learn I will mix my own solutions from dry ferts.. and employ my Dosers (2 x EZO-PMP from Atlas-Scientific) to adhere to a steady regimen (of course regimen never replaces observation and adjustment).

I really only want one set of variables to manage for chemistry..... The only variability I want in each of the tanks is the personality of the fauna...

I've had this book forever, and have lent it out serveral times. I recall one person was shocked that I shipped it across country for them to read/use for an entire month... when they sent it back to me the packaged contained a $25 gift certificate to a restaurant chain for my wife and I to express their gratitude. (yeah, you could eat out for $25 in the nineties) Fun stuff.

I'm running about 95% RO, 5% Tap. Seriously.
pH is 6.8-7.0 (some movement)
Temp is 27degC
KH is 1dKH (about 20ppm)
GH is 20 mg/L
Ammonia < .1 (barely registers)
Nitrite undetectable
Nitrate undectable

my test kit is not extensive enough to measure elements.
I have pH, ORP, Conductivity and DissolvedOxygen sensors.... but I need to rebuild the DissolvedOxygen Probe and the ORP got accidently fully submerged (slipped out of it's cradle)... So, I'll learn to use that instrumenation to help me at the very least identify when I relative shifts in the chemistry/conditions (aka something is changing)... even if I don't understand the significance of the absolute values...
Greggz likes this.

Peter
learning never stops...
post #70 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleDee View Post
Like, didn't y'all have a whole civil war about micro toxicities? Madness!
I was not involved, I waited for natural selection to take its course. And it did. Years later, history books will describe it as:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer 1800's

post #71 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
I was not involved, I waited for natural selection to take its course. And it did. Years later, history books will describe it as:

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer 1800's
If you are suggesting that the folks who were permanently banned were banned because of their beliefs, you are trying to rewrite history and don't have any grasp of what took place.

They were banned primarily for their repeated vile comments. One of them compared EI dosing and Tom Barr to the AID's virus. He also threatened to physically harm Tom Barr and only lived a couple of hours away from him. These same folks have been banned from other sites as well. Now they hang out in their own little cocoon, as no one else will have them.

At the peak they were jumping into 15 threads a day claiming every single person had Microtox. It was ridiculous. The funny thing is half of them weren't even dosing micros. But that didn't seem to matter or slow them down.

Defending them and what took place should be beneath you Edward. Just because you have a history with Tom Barr is no excuse. And for what it's worth, IMO Tom is right about what he says about PPS.

---
---
post #72 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Defending them and what took place should be beneath you Edward.
I was talking about people finally ending the era of adding dry CSM+B by the spoon directly into their aquariums. Not about your personal hatred issues.

Quote:
They were banned primarily for their repeated vile comments. One of them compared EI dosing and Tom Barr to the AID's virus. He also threatened to physically harm Tom Barr and only lived a couple of hours away from him.
Can you finally point us to some evidence? Until then its just your usual clown talk.

Full rant:
Quote:
If you are suggesting that the folks who were permanently banned were banned because of their beliefs, you are trying to rewrite history and don't have any grasp of what took place.

They were banned primarily for their repeated vile comments. One of them compared EI dosing and Tom Barr to the AID's virus. He also threatened to physically harm Tom Barr and only lived a couple of hours away from him. These same folks have been banned from other sites as well. Now they hang out in their own little cocoon, as no one else will have them.

At the peak they were jumping into 15 threads a day claiming every single person had Microtox. It was ridiculous. The funny thing is half of them weren't even dosing micros. But that didn't seem to matter or slow them down.

Defending them and what took place should be beneath you Edward. Just because you have a history with Tom Barr is no excuse. And for what it's worth, IMO Tom is right about what he says about PPS.

post #73 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-18-2020, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Can you finally point us to some evidence? Until then it’s just your usual clown talk.
Edward I was there. I understand your ignorance of everything that took place, as a large number of the worst posts were permanently deleted.

I stand by every single thing I said.

I've also talked to Tom Barr, and he shared with me some of what he was receiving via PM. Let's just say these guys were way, way out of control.

And c'mon now.....clown talk? You're better than that.

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 12-18-2020 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo

Tags
equilibrium, salty shrimp, seachem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode