Help on reaching desired parameters - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By en7jos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help on reaching desired parameters

Goodeveing everyone. I have sort of a broad question. My water out of the tap and aged for about a day has a pH of 7.4, KH of 80 ppm, and a GH of 200+ ppm. My water is pretty hard and want to start keeping more advanced plants (I am using pressurized co2). I am planning on getting an Ro unit from bulk reef supply. I am also going to be changing my fertizling method from co op easy green and iron to the ei method. I am going to get the 5 jars fertilizer and 2 bottles pack from gla. As well as some extra iron incase I need it, and 2 gh boosters too remineralize the ro water for the aquarium. The question is, what would be the best way to lower the water parameter in my planted aquarium without shocking the plants and fish. I was thinking at first doing 20 percent water changes, 10 gallons of ages tap water with 10 gallons of pure ro water with no remineraliztion (55 gallon tank). This will over a course of time drop the ph,soften my water, and lower the kh. I dont know yet how I should do it. OR should I remove the fish, put them in a spare qt tank i have, and do a 100 percent water change with ro water, and remineralize the ro with similiar parameters as the old water, and then start doing water changes with remineralize ro water, but lower the amount of remineraliztion over the course of time so I can reach my desired parameters. Thx for the help in advanced!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
When I have needed to do big parameter changes (to lower GH or TDS), I followed someones recommendation to not change any parameter by more than 10% in one go and that worked for me. Sure you could change more quickly with bigger water changes, but unless there is a specific need to rush, then slow and steady usually works out best.

What GH and KH are you aiming for? If you are new to remineralising RO water (it takes a bit of practice to get right and be consistent between batches), then I would suggest remineralising your RO water to your final target parameters and using this for initial water changes. This will give you practice at getting the remineralised parameters you want long term, and will be good for shifting your existing tank parameters in the right direction. When your tank gets closer to your target, you can then maybe do (small) water changes with pure RO to make the final fine adjustments.
mooner likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I was looking to get a KH of 4 degrees, and a GH of 5 to 6 degrees. So basically your saying that when I do a water change, the water that I add to the tank will be the water with the parameters that I desire. After a while, once the parameters are close to what I want them in the tank, I should use pure ro to fine adjust the parameters? Once I got the parameters figured out, I should than remineralize the ro water to make it equal to the tank in future water changes, and I'll be done right? One question that stayed with was how should I do the waterchanges. Would it be fine if I do 5 or 10 percent daily water changes. Or should I do 10 percent water changes with the desired parameters every week?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seems you are looking to half your GH (from about 10 to 5 degrees) but keep your KH constant at about 4 degrees, right?

If you're going to go the RO route and remineralise, then you will need to add both GH and KH minerals (you mentioned only adding GH boost in your original post).

I woudl suggest making up some remineralised water with 4KH and 0GH and using this to do 5% water changes every 2-3 days to slowly bring down GH (by about 0.5 degrees each time initially) whilst maintaining the same KH. Obvisouly as you get nearer to the target GH, the reduction in Gh from a 5% water change will get ever less. So then increase the water change 10% to maintain a max reduction of 0.5GH each time.

I'm basing this in experience with shrimp tanks when the slow and gradual approach seems to work best. For a planted or hardy fish tank you can probably be more aggressive. If you're brave, you could potentially even go straight to your desired 5GH / 4KH parameters in one foul swoop by doing a 50% water change with RO water remineralised to 4KH and 0GH. Depends what's in your tank though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode