4Likes
  • 1 Post By en7jos
  • 1 Post By zer0signal
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Oughtsix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving cycled water to new home! Is this wrong?

Hi guys, I just moved across cities and didn’t want to start the water cycle process all over again. I packed my aquarium water into mason jars and loaded them into my car. I’m about to set my aquarium up again using the water, but I’ve not been able to find anything online about people packing their water. Is this ok to do? Does the water get tainted by being in the jars/car for a 2 days. Any advice would be great!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 11:31 AM
Planted Member

Hi @sofiapentschev =)

I think the water is probably fairly irrelevant. What has been happening with your filter during the move? There's minimal bacteria in water compared to in the substrate and filter media. Bacteria need oxygen so if a filter (not sure what type of filter you have) has sat without water movement, then bacteria could well have expired.

Regards, James
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 02:01 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Hi @sofiapentschev =)

I think the water is probably fairly irrelevant. What has been happening with your filter during the move? There's minimal bacteria in water compared to in the substrate and filter media. Bacteria need oxygen so if a filter (not sure what type of filter you have) has sat without water movement, then bacteria could well have expired.

Regards, James
Agreed, the important thing you need to save during a move is the filter. That contains most of the beneficial bacteria, moving water is kind of pointless; you're just creating more work for yourself.

If it was me, I would move the filter quickly to the new place and get it running in the tank or temp bucket with water. If its going to be a few days before the tank/livestock is setup you can pick up some ammonia and dose the bucket to keep the bacteria alive while you transfer the rest of your tank.

You can use this to continue the cycle on the filter while waiting for live stock (IF its going to be a couple of days before live stock) Amazon: Ammonium Chloride (look for Fritz)
Oughtsix likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Thank you guys. I’ve Saran wrapped the filter to keep it moist, but I totally didn’t think about the lack of oxygen levels killing the bacteria. It’s been 4 days since it’s been wrapped. It’s still moist, but do you think it’s dead now? I Saran wrapped my tank with the substrate and kept it misted so the substrate was kept moist. The beneficial bacteria in there may be okay?

At this point I may just toss the water In the jars and just add ammonium to my tank until it cycles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 12:52 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
The groups of bacteria we call beneficial in the hobby are highly aerobic, meaning they need constant O2 to metabolize. Wrapping in Saran wrap is honestly probably worse than letting it start to dry. If you had live fish you were moving we'd have a different conversation about a necessary fish-in cycle, but an empty cycling tank? Just move the dirty gravel and media to it and see what happens. Unless there were pathogens or anything to worry about, it can only go faster than starting from everything being new.
Leeatl likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 05:06 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by en7jos View Post
Hi @sofiapentschev =)

Regards, James
The nitrifying bacteria like to attach themselves to surfaces and colonize (reproduce across the surface). Very little nitrifying bacteria will be free floating.

I don't think the water will hurt but I don't think it will make much of a difference.
Fishly likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2020, 09:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiapentschev View Post
Itís been 4 days since itís been wrapped. Itís still moist, but do you think itís dead now? I Saran wrapped my tank with the substrate and kept it misted so the substrate was kept moist. The beneficial bacteria in there may be okay?
There's no way to know without you setting up the tank and seeing. I think it should be okay. Just set it up as soon as possible, add a source of ammonia (whether pure ammonia or just a ton of fish food), and see what happens.

Do you have plants or livestock to add to the tank? If not, just keep adding ammonia until you're good and settled in your new place and don't worry about it. The beneficial bacteria double every 24 hours under ideal conditions, so even if 90% of your bacteria died, they should be back up to speed within two weeks.

Proud member of

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode