Massive CO2 Increase - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Quesenek

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi, over the last 2 days I've gone from negligible CO2 (I use the very minimum liquid CO2 to a massive increase to 20mg/l I've not changed any of my daily processes and wondered if there was an issue with the tetra 6 in 1 strips I'm using but they are reading the same again. I did post a few weeks ago that I'd had an explosion of seed shrimp not sure if that could have effected things. Any help would be great?!

In case it helps here is a link to my last post..https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s....php?t=1311115

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-16-2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhoyle View Post
Hi, over the last 2 days I've gone from negligible CO2 (I use the very minimum liquid CO2 to a massive increase to 20mg/l I've not changed any of my daily processes and wondered if there was an issue with the tetra 6 in 1 strips I'm using but they are reading the same again. I did post a few weeks ago that I'd had an explosion of seed shrimp not sure if that could have effected things. Any help would be great?!
I assume that you are trying to gauge CO2 levels by comparing pH readings, is that correct? What is your procedure for measuring it?

First, look to the the test method. Test strips are virtually useless other than providing vague regions of ballpark numbers. Throw them out. The liquid reagent tests are much better and, for pH, the $30-$40 pens are far better than the reagent tests, particularly when you are trying to measure CO2.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot Deanna, I had a feeling the CO2 reading may have been incorrect as there are no other signs of too high CO2. I'll look at the other ways to read as you suggested. 👍

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 12:51 PM
Algae Grower

Trying to get an accurate CO2 reading using pH and KH is difficult because in order to do it right you need precise readings. The level of precision isn't accurate enough to use to gauge CO2 from even using liquid tests because even with those a person can easily be + or - 10 off. Which is a big deal if you are trying to use it to calculate CO2.

If you are using a 5 or 6 in 1 test strip? Impossible

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the further info, I'm going to look at a solely CO2 testing kit and see how accurate it is. Sure it will be better than the strips! 👍. I'm still trying to battle a seed shrimp explosion so I'm sure that's not helping..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the further info, I'm going to look at a solely CO2 testing kit and see how accurate it is. Sure it will be better than the strips! 👍. I'm still trying to battle a seed shrimp explosion so I'm sure that's not helping..
Those CO2 test methods that are at a price that most of us are willing to pay (<$500) are no better than the pH / KH approach, since they are basically using the same data.

You can increase precision by using a pH meter (this $30 one is highly rated: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and using a freshwater alkalinity meter from Hanna ($50). Good enough is to use the API KH test kit, but use 5x the water (25ml), then divide the number of drops by 5.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for everyone's help. Ive used a more accurate method to measure and surprise surprise the strips were way off being anywhere near accurate on the CO2. All good and nice to know the fish etc aren't suffering. Have a good one.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2020, 06:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for everyone's help. Ive used a more accurate method to measure and surprise surprise the strips were way off being anywhere near accurate on the CO2. All good and nice to know the fish etc aren't suffering. Have a good one.
Correct me if I'm misunderstanding.
You're using a liquid carbon product like this, Seachem Flourish Excel right?
If this is the case, adding this to the tank will not change the PH of the water.
You don't test for the amount of this product in the water column, the only way to know is by measuring the dose and adding it to the tank.
Deanna likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode