PH / KH CO2 Charts - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pauld738

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
PH / KH CO2 Charts

Silly question - My PH is low without CO2. My KH is low.

If I have a KH of 2 and a PH of 6.1, how can my CO2 be 47.7 if not injecting?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 11:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cause it's not, lol :-)

Those charts have to make assumptions that don't always hold up. Like co2 is the only acid driving pH down. Best to use them as a rough guideline, if at all.

Btw, if you actually measured 6.1ph / 2 dKh on your tank without co2 ( and both pH & kh are accurate readings) you have a tremendous amount of acid in your tank. :-)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Deanna likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Expanding upon @pauld738's comments, if your dKH is 2 (is your test kit calibrated and not expired?) and if you had nothing other than cO2 causing acidic conditions, your pH would be above 7 with atmospheric CO2 levels. I would definitely look for the causes of the acidic conditions (pH reagent test kits are iffy as well. Pens are better). One strong possibility would be "old tank syndrome", which you can search on anywhere, including TPT. If ph is truly 6.1, you are very close to stalling your biological filter (BB can go dormant at around pH 6.0)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So this is a new tank. Been setup for two weeks. I have Fluval Stratum on lower layer and Flourish black on top. This is a planted tank with dragon stone. PH readings have been done with new test kit, along with a calibrated PH probe (Milwaukee). I tested it at 4, 7 and 10 with test solution and within .1, so should be good. My measurements the last two days seem to have leveled out at 6.4 and verified with a fresh test kit as well. Two questions:

1). Should I address by increasing PH?
2). Can I still inject CO2, or no?

I have cherry shrimp, Celestial Pearl Danios and Panda Cory as my tank inhabitants.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius65 View Post
So this is a new tank. Been setup for two weeks. I have Fluval Stratum on lower layer and Flourish black on top. This is a planted tank with dragon stone. PH readings have been done with new test kit, along with a calibrated PH probe (Milwaukee). I tested it at 4, 7 and 10 with test solution and within .1, so should be good. My measurements the last two days seem to have leveled out at 6.4 and verified with a fresh test kit as well. Two questions:

1). Should I address by increasing PH?
2). Can I still inject CO2, or no?

I have cherry shrimp, Celestial Pearl Danios and Panda Cory as my tank inhabitants.

Thanks!
It's the Fluval Stratum. It removes carbonates (which affects KH) and brings the pH down. Nothing to worry about. If you try adding bicarbonates, it will speed the process of reducing the Fluval Stratum's buffering.

Adding CO2 will drop the pH further, but pH changes from CO2 are not harmful to fish.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the input. I do have it protected not to fall below 6.0, so all good there. I will just let it ride as all seems to be happy at this point. Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode