• 2 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By P.Isley
  • 1 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Estimative Index Accumulation Graph

Can someone share a link to a line graph that shows the accumulation of nutrients over time for estimative index dosing? I can't find it for the life of me.

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Hi @mossman77,

Here you go! https://rotalabutterfly.com/accumulation-calculator.php

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Thank you for the link. However, I meant a graph that shows the ideal EI levels over several weeks of dosing. A generic graph in other words.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman77 View Post
Thank you for the link. However, I meant a graph that shows the ideal EI levels over several weeks of dosing. A generic graph in other words.
When you figure say your NO3 dose look at graph at bottom. The max is 30ppm, once you start going above that high range end you may start having nutrient toxicity problems. Test your water for nitrate and phosphate at beginning of week say 1hr after 1st dose, hit your targets then at end of week measure both those to see accumulation. If your levels are at least staying flatlined across week or slightly going up your fine. If your levels have dropped your not dosing enough or your not dosing often enough.

Build your solutions to EI ratios, find amount to dose that keeps up in your tank but alway keep macro and micro dosing proportions inline, if your N or P are falling behind you can be pretty sure other micros are also falling behind. If you increase your macro by 10% per week, do exact same for your micro dosing. Then once you got that semi-zeroed in stick with it for a few weeks and observe for signs of say K, Ca, Mg or Iron deficiency. If see what you think are signs of any those being deficient correct. Might be as simple as adding a tiny bit of Equilibrium to your change water, it will add in K, Ca, Mg, Fe, Mn. Might only need to add some Epsom salt (Mg Sulfate) tank/change water.

Thing about that accumulation calc is it gives what “should” be your accumulation of any given element across whatever timeframe you put in. But that doesn’t doesn’t guarantee you anything. Choice/type of plants, planting density, circulation patterns, light/CO2 levels and consistency, even cleaning/maintenance effect what you need to do.

Many people underestimate importance of what doing proper change water prep, sucking up waste, maybe using a turkey baster to blast stuff up, cleaning filter pads and doing a light/constant pruning routine does for your tank to help your tank run smoothly. Managing DOC/waste is equally as important as getting over obsessed with light/CO2 and nutrient levels.

Last edited by DaveKS; 07-21-2020 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Typo
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Quote:
When you figure say your NO3 dose look at graph at bottom. The max is 30ppm, once you start going above that high range end you may start having nutrient toxicity problems. Test your water for nitrate and phosphate at beginning of week say 1hr after 1st dose, hit your targets then at end of week measure both those to see accumulation. If your levels are at least staying flatlined across week or slightly going up your fine. If your levels have dropped your not dosing enough or your not dosing often enough.

Build your solutions to EI ratios, find amount to dose that keeps up in your tank but alway keep macro and micro dosing proportions inline, if your N or P are falling behind you can be pretty sure other micros are also falling behind. If you increase your macro by 10% per week, do exact same for your micro dosing. Then once you got that semi-zeroed in stick with it for a few weeks and observe for signs of say K, Ca, Mg or Iron deficiency. If see what you think are signs of any those being deficient correct. Might be as simple as adding a tiny bit of Equilibrium to your change water, it will add in K, Ca, Mg, Fe, Mn. Might only need to add some Epsom salt (Mg Sulfate) tank/change water.

Thing about that accumulation calc is it gives what “should” be your accumulation of any given element across whatever timeframe you put in. But that doesn’t doesn’t guarantee you anything. Choice/type of plants, planting density, circulation patterns, light/CO2 levels and consistency, even cleaning/maintenance effect what you need to do.

Many people underestimate importance of what doing proper change water prep, sucking up waste, maybe using a turkey baster to blast stuff up, cleaning filter pads and doing a light/constant pruning routine does for your tank to help your tank run smoothly. Managing DOC/waste is equally as important as getting over obsessed with light/CO2 and nutrient levels.
Thanks for the tips. Measuring the nitrate accurately is my hang up. I can't distinguish between anything over 20ppm because the colors aren't different enough. Wish API would fix this. If I hold the test tube up to a light, it looks like 20ppm, but if I hold it against the card, it looks like 40ppm. Frustrating.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Measuring the nitrate accurately is my hang up. I can't distinguish between anything over 20ppm because the colors aren't different enough. Wish API would fix this. If I hold the test tube up to a light, it looks like 20ppm, but if I hold it against the card, it looks like 40ppm. Frustrating.
The Saliert test kit is a little easier to distinguish levels. The good news is that if it's 20 or 40ppm it probably won't make much of a difference if the no3 is from dosing.
Greggz and P.Isley like this.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

+1 for Salifert Nitrate test kit. Very good for reading Nitrate 2 to 20 ppm and beyond!
Greggz likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just ordered one. Thanks!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I don't know if this is what you are looking for or not.

I put together a spread sheet that shows how EI accumulates over time based on dosing and water changes. You can also add in fish waste and plant uptake. Sometimes it helps to see how EI works.

Here is an example dosing 15 ppm NO3 weekly. The spreadsheet is in the link to a Google Drive in my signature and anybody is welcome to download it and use it as they will.

Quagulator likes this.

---
---
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
I don't know if this is what you are looking for or not.

I put together a spread sheet that shows how EI accumulates over time based on dosing and water changes. You can also add in fish waste and plant uptake. Sometimes it helps to see how EI works.

Here is an example dosing 15 ppm NO3 weekly. The spreadsheet is in the link to a Google Drive in my signature and anybody is welcome to download it and use it as they will.

Yes. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode