4Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveKS
  • 2 Post By Blue Ridge Reef

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water temp and fishless cycle.

Is there an optimum water temperature for fishless cycling? I just filled my 40B and plan to start cycling it tomorrow. I'm thinking of not turning on the heater yet. The room is 72į occasionally getting hotter when the A/C strains. I figure I'll wait until I'm ready to plant or decide what I want for fish. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

My thought is set it to your desired final temp and let system find its balance at that temp. People seem to forget nitrogen cycle and PH/Temp are very much related to one another, PH/Temp defines your ammonium/ammonia ratio, a PH of 8 @1ppm N compounds the tank will go into major fail. At freshwater PH of 6.5 and say KH3/GH4 and the same ammonia compound levels/temp tank will be stabile. Ammonia compounds are at least 50x less lethal, below 6.8PH, as temp warms from there things shift towards the noxious ammonia side.
Blue Ridge Reef and Leeatl like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
My thought is set it to your desired final temp and let system find its balance at that temp. People seem to forget nitrogen cycle and PH/Temp are very much related to one another, PH/Temp defines your ammonium/ammonia ratio, a PH of 8 @1ppm N compounds the tank will go into major fail. At freshwater PH of 6.5 and say KH3/GH4 and the same ammonia compound levels/temp tank will be stabile. Ammonia compounds are at least 50x less lethal, below 6.8PH, as temp warms from there things shift towards the noxious ammonia side.
Actually, I found a great article online on the subject. It goes into some depth.

https://aquaticcreationsgroup.com/ed...ycle-overview/

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

Great article!!! I am having trouble cycling my tank and have stalled at the nitrifying bacteria phase, my ammonia is 0, and my nitrities are doubling daily. In an attempt to restart the cycle (after daily water changes to reduce nitrites) I have turned of my CO2 to raise the pH closer to 8, raised my temp in the tank to 84, added Seachem Stabilizer, and turned of my Finnex 24/7 Planted light. Do you have any other suggestions? I am desperate!!!!!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 01:24 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Couldn't agree more with Dave, set the tank up the way it's going to run and cycle it that way. I have set a LOT of aquariums up (owned an LFS 130ish tanks, still do some setups and maintenance) and if one thing has bitten me in the rear consistently, it's been setting a tank up hoping to cycle quickly and then thinking I could then change it into what I wanted it to be without a hiccup. Especially if going to softer water, the hiccups are coming. Killing lights is about as far as I'll go, and if planting (I'll hardly even agree to setting up a non planted freshwater), I'll skip that in lieu of planting right away these days. Set the tank up for the species you want to keep and the water you are going to use and ride out the cycle and your cycle will be right every single time. Shortcut, and your cycle may be fine but I can sure remember the ones that weren't a lot better.

@hitechVONN, My biggest suggestion probably isn't what you want to hear but I'll sum it up in two words and here goes. Be patient. These things take time. You are starting an ecosystem here, literally culturing millions of microorganisms. This isn't plug and play like a video game, it's real life growing stuff. It takes a year for my new tanks to look the way I want. Very few things about this hobby give immediate gratification. Like, baby shrimp and fish fry are about all there is! The biggest shift people have to make is wrapping their heads around this. That little bit of wiping algae and removing that dead leaf becomes a zen activity. It's just what you do. Day to day the tanks look exactly the same. But in 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, you've cultivated something amazing! And there will still be prettier ones on the internet that other people have accomplished, and never let that discourage you. This one is yours.
Leeatl and hitechVONN like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-07-2020, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

My cycle is completed. It took about 3 weeks. I have some plants and 6 cory cats on order and will continue to add a bit of ammonia every other day until they're ready to ship the fish. Then I'll do a good-sized water change and add another dose of BB the day before.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode