2 point drop in ph from CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pauld738

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 point drop in ph from CO2

I just measured my ph drop from CO2 and my ph goes from 8 to 6. I used a calibrated CO2 pen.

The fish seem fine. Has anyone ever seen this before?

According to the PH/KH chart I have 1.1 ppm co2 degassed and 270 ppm with co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

First off those pH/kh charts use assumptions that are oftentimes incorrect. So it's best to not pay too much attention to those charts.

Now as for your 2.0 pH drop, it might be possible to get to that level if your atmospheric co2 is fairly low. Again, those charts don't paint an accurate picture of what your starting concentration is at. The starting concentration is also dependant on atmospheric pressure. Less pressure, less starting co2.

And since pH is a logarithmic scale a drop of 1.0 equals a 10x increase in co2.

So if you are in an area with low atmospheric pressure and, amazingly enough in this day and age of global warming, an area of low co2 concentrations you can conceivably get a 2.0 pH drop.

Most get somewhere around 1.5 with no outward ill-effects.

That or your pH pen is inaccurate at low pH readings. :-)

Fyi... I have a pH monitor that records 0.3 lower than it should when in the aquarium yet I can calibrate to 7.0 and 4.0 solutions successfully.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
victorusaconte likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am at a high altitude so that might explain it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 11:47 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post

This is my first guess. What's your KH? (I realize I could probably study the chart and figure it out on my own)

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 12:52 AM
Algae Grower

What's your KH?

CO2 over 30ppm is dangerous for living creatures so your CO2 measurement of 270ppm is totally incorrect.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not that it matters that much in this situation...

But I'm betting that the initial pH reading is close to correct which would put Kh somewhere around 6dKh. Give or take a degree. :-)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 05:43 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld738 View Post
First off those pH/kh charts use assumptions that are oftentimes incorrect. So it's best to not pay too much attention to those charts.

Now as for your 2.0 pH drop, it might be possible to get to that level if your atmospheric co2 is fairly low. Again, those charts don't paint an accurate picture of what your starting concentration is at. The starting concentration is also dependant on atmospheric pressure. Less pressure, less starting co2.

And since pH is a logarithmic scale a drop of 1.0 equals a 10x increase in co2.

So if you are in an area with low atmospheric pressure and, amazingly enough in this day and age of global warming, an area of low co2 concentrations you can conceivably get a 2.0 pH drop.

Most get somewhere around 1.5 with no outward ill-effects.

Fyi... I have a pH monitor that records 0.3 lower than it should when in the aquarium yet I can calibrate to 7.0 and 4.0 solutions successfully.

World is changing, everything is changing together. World is changing in ways we dont even think of. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Double-check your ph pen with a reagent test. I have an inexpensive ph pen that I stopped using due to inaccuracy. If you're not already doing so, keep a co2 checker installed in your tank, even the inexpensive Fluval one will do. This way you have an easy visual if your co2 is at a dangerous level.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:45 PM
Algae Grower

another factor: how do you obtain your baseline pH? when and where matter.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

Can you link your kh/ph table. My female bn died and my ph only dropped by 1 which should have been fine with a kh of 3. Anyway doesn't help with your issue but just sort of my way saying be careful with too much co2 if the tank has fishes.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
This popped up in the recent discussions and I made similar comments on CO2 measurements so I wanted to add my two cents.

The above comments I think are all valid; concerns about off-gassing in high altitude/low air pressure is probably true, pH pen inaccuracies, and issues with the KH/pH chart. My comment involves the latter in that the chart assumes KH or carbonates is your only buffer in the tank. Now, that may be true as we don't know what else is in the tank, but there are plenty of other factors affecting pH including rocks, active substrates, chemical filtration media, and phosphate levels (though this last one is not likely an issue in most tanks). All that to say, take pH drops as one estimate of CO2 levels and I'd echo the comment to use a drop checker as another. I would guess you have very low KH and perhaps no other means of buffering the tank pH, like with an active substrate for example.

Latest tank setup July 2020

Torn down:
-
-
-
-
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

pH is one part and KH is the other part. Both have to be calibrated and both should be measured with each pH reading (KH can change, even daily, as a function of many things).

You mentioned that you calibrated your pen. Was this to non-expired 4.0 and 7.0 pH calibration solutions? Did you also calibrate your KH test to a known KH level? If dKH is measured incorrectly, even a slight error can give a significantly false CO2 result. Additionally, dKH testing can be less precise than desired. The simple API kit can be greatly improved, in precision, buy using 5x the sample water and dividing the results by 5. I also use a Hanna KH test kit, which provides even greater precision, and you might be surprised at how this shows the API kit to be fairly wanting in precision even when using the higher precision approach to the API kit.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode