Purigen for Tannins - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen for Tannins

New to the planted tank arena after years keeping a reef tank. I have set-up a small nano planted tank and I used a soil substrate (miracle-Gro organic) capped with some fine gravel. Was quite disappointed to see that even after weeks the water column had a noticeable brown tannin color to it. Read somewhere that Purigen can clean this up. Bought the small 100ml size, comes in a small mesh bag. Was shocked at how well this works. Water is almost crystal clear after two days. I suspect I will have to recharge every couple weeks, but worth it. Thought I would share.

Cheers

-=Bryan=-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Recurring tannins is a sign of soft water as well, especially when the source is aquasoil or real soil. What are you gh, kh, tds and ph measurements?

Last edited by Ddrizzle; 07-05-2020 at 04:00 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2020, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Out of the tap it is quite low, less than 1dkh and ppm about 20ppm. TDS once some Seachem equilibrium was added is around 220ppm, 5 dkh, ph around 7.3. Sorry not sure what lh and pg stands for?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 04:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry, I meant kh and ph. In this case, the gh matters more than the kh. What is your gh?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

After the Equilibrium added the tank water is around 5dgh General Hardness and the Kh is around 1.5. Out of the tap the GH is very low, barely measurable with the test kits. Total TDS out of the tap is a around 17ppm, thus why I need to increase the hardness using Equilibrium. After a week of use the Purigen it is quite dark, probably will need to recharge in another week, still pretty impressed with the stuff. I am sure over time and the fact I have increased the hardness that tannins should level off and not be that much of a issue.

-=Bryan=-
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would put money down on the fact that the GH is the issue. I've ran into this with two tanks when using Amazon aquasoil and using solely RO water.

I thought I was adding enough GH to the RO water but it turned out that was incorrect. The GH always measured around 1 to 1.5 degrees and the water was constantly yellow.

I switched to normal tap water and the yellow instantly disappeared and has stayed that way since. I'm actually not sure if the issue was literally the GH, or the lower PH due to lower gh/kh.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, you could be right as I added the Purigen around the same time I picked up a bottle of equilibrium to raise GH. Easy test I suppose is to just remove the Purigen and see what happens after a week.

-=Bryan=-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode