Cloudy tank - 2 months - read all the threads - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:34 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank, new filter, posted water parameters shows it's not cycled. Looks like a standard bacteria bloom. What exactly is the media you have in the canister filter?
Discusluv and evil8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefishguy View Post
Looks like a standard bacteria bloom.
That's what I was thinking. It happened to me once when I swapped out a HOB for a new canister filter. Even though I used the media from the HOB it took awhile (not 2 months though) to stabilize.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If their chemoheterotrophic bacteria having wood in tank and adding leaves, twigs, peat to tank should help them go away. They use oxidized minerals in the water as their energy source and feed on waste and lower bacteria/algae as food source. Adding tannins (humic and fulvic acids, natural chelates) to tank water will bind those oxidized minerals up into compounds that those bacteria have no way to process, basically youíll starve them of their energy source.

Also that bright of light, for that many hours, on that shallow of a tank is going make problem worse by fostering water born green algae which is one of the food sources chemoheterotrophic bacteria use, they canít fix their own carbon so they either get it by ingesting decomposing matter or being a predator of other autotrophic bacteria or algae. Doubt very seriously you have a organic matter problem at this stage.

After tank matures and starts producing it own organic acids problem will go away on its own.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 06:15 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
If their chemoheterotrophic bacteria having wood in tank and adding leaves, twigs, peat to tank should help them go away. They use oxidized minerals in the water as their energy source and feed on waste and lower bacteria/algae as food source. Adding tannins (humic and fulvic acids, natural chelates) to tank water will bind those oxidized minerals up into compounds that those bacteria have no way to process, basically youíll starve them of their energy source.

Also that bright of light, for that many hours, on that shallow of a tank is going make problem worse by fostering water born green algae which is one of the food sources chemoheterotrophic bacteria use, they canít fix their own carbon so they either get it by ingesting decomposing matter or being a predator of other autotrophic bacteria or algae. Doubt very seriously you have a organic matter problem at this stage.

After tank matures and starts producing it own organic acids problem will go away on its own.
You forgot to drop the mic Dave!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
DaveKS likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow - such in-depth discussion - this was great!

Here's the update (and my thoughts based on what I've read)

Current solution
I did a 90% water change and added an external canister filter (carbon, filter floss and sponge media). The water is mostly clear and stable over the last few days (not getting cloudier again). Now that I could see into the tank again, I could trim out some of the dying leaves.

My guess is that the good bacteria never got the edge when the tank cycled. The internal filter sponges just didn't do the job. Once the cloudy bacteria started, it caused a cycle of plant dying, which just fueled the cycle more. Add a little green algae bloom along the way, and the whole system was out of balance. Even though I changed 20% water, ran more lights, ran UV sterilizer, it was never enough.

I'm going to leave the external canister running, plus the addition of the Seachem, to try to keep the edge for the good bacteria. All the plants are pearling again, so that's a good growth sign.

Thanks again !

Paul
pauld738 likes this.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's the current view - still clear - looking happy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clear.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	900247  

Leeatl likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 09:28 PM
Algae Grower

Looks much better now.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode