Water change & water conditioner - The Planted Tank Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water change & water conditioner

Which method did you guys use when doing water change?

1. Syphon the amount of water you want to remove out of the tank. Fill tap water in a bucket. Add water conditioner into it. Then add the treated water to tank.

2. Syphon the amount of water you want to remove out of the tank. Add water conditioner into the tank according to the amount of water you need to add. Add new tap water into the tank.

BTW, did you guys add water conditioner into the tank when you add new fish to help it acclimate? On the bottle of my water conditioner (Tension Gon) stated the amount of dosage to use when introducing new fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

#1 with small tanks.
#2 with large tanks.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 01:09 PM
Algae Grower

Actually number 2 would be to dose for the entire tank and then add your water. Not just dose for the amount of water added.
Discusluv and kizwan like this.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somefishguy View Post
Actually number 2 would be to dose for the entire tank and then add your water. Not just dose for the amount of water added.
Why? Presuming that the water conditioner is being added to neutralize any chlorine/chloramine in the water, that amount is unchanged in either scenario, and the the reaction is pretty quick, even at low concentrations.
kizwan likes this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
Why? Presuming that the water conditioner is being added to neutralize any chlorine/chloramine in the water, that amount is unchanged in either scenario, and the the reaction is pretty quick, even at low concentrations.
Because you need the water conditioner to reach all parts of the tank with the untreated water. That's why the instructions are explicit about that. If you have a 100 gallon tank, and change 10 gallons of water in the tank, why would you add water conditioner for just 10 gallons? That 10 gallons has now distributed over the 100 gallons. That's why you dose for 100 gallons.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Because you need the water conditioner to reach all parts of the tank with the untreated water. That's why the instructions are explicit about that. If you have a 100 gallon tank, and change 10 gallons of water in the tank, why would you add water conditioner for just 10 gallons? That 10 gallons has now distributed over the 100 gallons. That's why you dose for 100 gallons.
I'm going to disagree. The stoichiometry is unchanged. The neutralization reaction is going to be slower due to dilution, but the reaction is sufficient fast for it to not really matter. Unless there's some side reaction taking place that I am unaware of, but that seems doubtful in this instance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Nz66cobra and kizwan like this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:44 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm going to disagree. The stoichiometry is unchanged. The neutralization reaction is going to be slower due to dilution, but the reaction is sufficient fast for it to not really matter. Unless there's some side reaction taking place that I am unaware of, but that seems doubtful in this instance.

OK, let's make it easier. You have a 100 gallon tank. You change 10 gallons of water that has chlorine in it. Now that 10 gallons of water is distributing the chlorine throughout the tank. You dose for only 10 gallons that you put in, which is not enough to remove all the chlorine. You have only removed 10%. Pretty simple.

However, before you change the water, you dose the your dechlorinator in a 10 gallon bucket of water. Now when you pour in the 10 gallons, no chlorine anywhere.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
OK, let's make it easier. You have a 100 gallon tank. You change 10 gallons of water that has chlorine in it. Now that 10 gallons of water is distributing the chlorine throughout the tank. You dose for only 10 gallons that you put in, which is not enough to remove all the chlorine. Pretty simple.

However, before you change the water, you dose the your dechlorinator in a 10 gallon bucket of water. Now when you pour in the 10 gallons, no chlorine anywhere.
How does the chlorine multiply by ten when you add the new water to your tank?

kizwan likes this.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
How does the chlorine multiply by ten when you add the new water to your tank?

Actually it increases 100% as there is no chlorine in the tank before any water changes.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually it increases 100% as there is no chlorine in the tank before any water changes.
Now that's just bad math. The amount of chlorine in the 10 gallons of new water is the same amount as the amount of chlorine in 10 gallons of new water plus 90 gallons of old water.

Nz66cobra and kizwan like this.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Now that's just bad math. The amount of chlorine in the 10 gallons of new water is the same amount as the amount of chlorine in 10 gallons of new water plus 90 gallons of old water.

Bingo, I think you've got it.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Drinking water is about 3 ppm I believe, so if you dilute 10x, ie 10 gallons of new water into 90 gallons of old tank water, you now have 100 gallons of 0.3 ppm chlorine.

kizwan likes this.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm starting to think I'm being trolled here...

mourip likes this.

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Drinking water is about 3 ppm I believe, so if you dilute 10x, ie 10 gallons of new water into 90 gallons of old tank water, you now have 100 gallons of 0.3 ppm chlorine.

And that 0.3ppm is what folks are trying to remove.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 10:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
And that 0.3ppm is what folks are trying to remove.
100 gallons of 0.3 ppm chlorine is the exact same as 10 gallons of 3 ppm chlorine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode