3Likes
  • 2 Post By vanostav61
  • 1 Post By Mark Fisher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2020, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
High Phosphate in Tap Water

So, my tank has been up and running almost a week and generally things are going well (ammonia is at 1.5ppm having peaked at 2.0ppm, most likely due to the Aqua Soil Amazonia), nitrites stable at 2.0ppm, nitrates increasing (currently at 7.5ppm). All of that is pretty good and suggests that the filter is starting to cycle.

Then, the less good news, my phosphate test kit was delivered yesterday and the tank (and my tap water) are reading 2.0ppm. I wasn't necessarily expecting 0.0, but I'd hoped for 0.5ppm or less in the tap water. I was hoping to stay ahead of algae from the start, so I'm a little worried that this is on the high side (and obviously water changes won't help). Is this a high enough starting point that I should be thinking about reverse osmosis or distilled water for water changes?

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 01:47 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH2 View Post
So, my tank has been up and running almost a week and generally things are going well (ammonia is at 1.5ppm having peaked at 2.0ppm, most likely due to the Aqua Soil Amazonia), nitrites stable at 2.0ppm, nitrates increasing (currently at 7.5ppm). All of that is pretty good and suggests that the filter is starting to cycle.

Then, the less good news, my phosphate test kit was delivered yesterday and the tank (and my tap water) are reading 2.0ppm. I wasn't necessarily expecting 0.0, but I'd hoped for 0.5ppm or less in the tap water. I was hoping to stay ahead of algae from the start, so I'm a little worried that this is on the high side (and obviously water changes won't help). Is this a high enough starting point that I should be thinking about reverse osmosis or distilled water for water changes?

Paul
Hi Paul,
Your PO4 is not that high, 2ppm is Ok for a planted tank. I don't think you should have any problems. On the good side you won't have to dose it since it's already in your tap water

Can I ask what test are you using to measure Nitrates so precisely to the 0.5 of PPM?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Mark Fisher and PaulH2 like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

No problem with your tap water. My tap water has < 0.05 ppm and I have to add phosphate to my tanks to keep my plants growing and healthy.

When the time comes for you to add fertilizer, you probably won't need to add phosphate (as long as you are doing regular water changes). You will need to add nitrate, potassium and micros, however.
PaulH2 likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanostav61 View Post
Hi Paul,
Your PO4 is not that high, 2ppm is Ok for a planted tank. I don't think you should have any problems. On the good side you won't have to dose it since it's already in your tap water

Can I ask what test are you using to measure Nitrates so precisely to the 0.5 of PPM?

Thanks for the advice, that's a great point on not having to dose it.

I'm not measuring it that accurately, but the color is somewhere between the 5 and 10 values on the chart, so I recorded it as 7.5.

Paul
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH2 View Post
Thanks for the advice, that's a great point on not having to dose it.

I'm not measuring it that accurately, but the color is somewhere between the 5 and 10 values on the chart, so I recorded it as 7.5.

Paul
Ok, that makes sense now. Keep in mind that 10ppm Nitrates is kind of the bare minimum for a planted aquarium. 20ppm would be a much safer number just so you don't risk running too low, just a recommendation.

Tags
phosphates, tap water, water quality

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode