LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
I had Seachem Fluorite for many years and never had a phosphate issue. A heavily stocked tank is going to create a lot of PO4 and NO3 - the fish will expel enough to be a considerable quantity.

Are you plants growing rapidly? With NO3 that low (despite consumption by plants), and probably bottoming out frequently, I suspect that there is not enough growth to consume the PO4 being generated organically.
Except he said he performed 3 50% water changes in a week and a half without the levels dropping at all, which doesn't make sense if it's from fish/food waste. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Confused" >:-)</a>
This is why I think it's coming from somewhere else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 09:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Except he said he performed 3 50% water changes in a week and a half without the levels dropping at all, which doesn't make sense if it's from fish/food waste.
It doesn't make sense in any case. Remove 50% of the water and 50% of anything in the tank is removed - pretty simple math. The levels have to drop and, if they don't, the test method has to be questioned. PO4 and NO3 can rebuild rapidly with a heavy fish load.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
It doesn't make sense in any case. Remove 50% of the water and 50% of anything in the tank is removed - pretty simple math. The levels have to drop and, if they don't, the test method has to be questioned. PO4 and NO3 can rebuild rapidly with a heavy fish load.
Unless the Phosphate buffer he added previously leeched into the porous substrate, and is leeching back out into the water

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 10:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Unless the Phosphate buffer he added previously leeched into the porous substrate, and is leeching back out into the water
I suppose it's in the realm of the possible, but that would require quite a bit of release of PO4, and I'm not sure that the it would happen that fast or that the CEC capability is that great. Perhaps a combination of that and the organic source. I suggest a test: put a gallon of distilled/RO water in a container and add 16 ounces of the substrate to it, then monitor for PO4 activity. That should rule in/out the substrate as a source.

However, OP: be sure to calibrate the PO4 test kit. Put 3ppm PO4 into a gallon of distilled/RO water and make sure that you get a 3ppm test result.
vanostav61 likes this.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This is what happened to me when fighting high phosphate. I began to doubt the test but eventually got around to the fact that I had such high level that cutting it in half still left it too high for the test kit to show any change. I don't know what the top end reading of the test might be but if you have three times that amount, cutting it in half may still be too high to read other than too high!
I do not buy into the really weird/possible but unlikely ideas on most occasions if there are the "normal" or "average" explanations available. I do not accept the idea of the sub absorbing and then later releasing a massive amount. If absorbed why release it if there is no dramatic change in the water?
I would want to verify the kit on other water to see it does what it is supposed to do but I found my problem was that I had totally too high phosphate in my tank and the test could not tell when I cut it in half.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-21-2020, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good morning everyone Happy Father's day to the dads out there...

I woke up this morning and continued my almost daily routine of water testing on this particular tank.

As expected all my levels are still zero with the exception of phosphate - >10. I'm going to stop on the water changes for a little bit as I've bottomed out on Nitrates for too long and I can see it's effect on plant growth. 16 fish and a snail in a 5 gallon tank and I can't keep up nitrates - wow ... At least the tank is looking real nice and I'm starting to see some growth.

To deal with the high phosphate I've started to add some phosphate absorbing material. I'll update everyone on my progress with it.

In addition, I've tested the Phosphate kit on other tanks and it seems to be working. I would love to calibrate it but I don't know where to get phosphate.

As for my algae issue that originally led me to the diagnosis of high phosphates, seachem Excel is keeping it at bay - for now...

Attaching a pic of the tank from this morning.

I hope everyone enjoys their Father's day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200621_082756_1592742511675.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	900125  

Mark Fisher likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2020, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just wanted to offer a quick update.

Like I mentioned before, I added some phosphate removing pads. They're helping quite a bit and have kept the phosphate levels at about 5. But, phosphate is still coming into my tank from somewhere. All my other water parameters are perfect with the exception of barely noticeable nitrate levels.
Mark Fisher likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode