• 2 Post By Quagulator
  • 2 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Doing EI per week

Hallo Gurus,

I am doing next week an EI procedure to my planted tank. My question is can i only dose once per week?
Meaning, i dose 20ppm of N, 30ppm K and 3ppm of PO4. I dose Fe on the next day since i know dosing Fe and PO4 at the same time will precipitate Fe (though, i do not know if this true).
I am always not at home on weekdays and will be only available on weekends that i why I want to know if this will works?

Thanks, bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Generally 2-4x week is needed. You donít want plants running out of any nutrients between dosing. Their growth will stall and algae will take over.

Is this a high light/co2 injected tank? What kind of plants and how densely planted?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Everything up-front is more than adequate, many of us do that with out macro's and then split up our micros throughout the week.

20ppm NO3 is very high
30ppm K is double the amount needed
3ppm PO4 is about right, maybe a little more is needed.
Greggz and Asteroid like this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
Generally 2-4x week is needed. You donít want plants running out of any nutrients between dosing. Their growth will stall and algae will take over.

Is this a high light/co2 injected tank? What kind of plants and how densely planted?
Hallo, the problem is my work, i am not always at home. I can not give this obligation to my wife..
No, a medium lights only, has regulated co2 with 20ppm. Lightly dense of anubias, crypts and lotus plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Everything up-front is more than adequate, many of us do that with out macro's and then split up our micros throughout the week.

20ppm NO3 is very high
30ppm K is double the amount needed
3ppm PO4 is about right, maybe a little more is needed.
You mean i can do the NPK dosing every Saturday and micros for sunday before i leave for work?
I can lessen the amount of NO3 and make 50ppm of Potassium as suggested..

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-07-2020 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 06:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

As mentioned front loading for the week is perfectly fine. There is a wide variance with the ferts it won't do anything to fish or plants. You'll have to test after the first or second week to see how much you need to add so you don't bottom out. I would just go with a higher end EI dose to start.
Greggz and Quagulator like this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 07:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

More than likely youíll be fine front loading, your easy plants uptake not that demanding so doubt it will bottom out before end of week even with med light and med co2.

Agree with statement above that your probably overdoing it on NK. Iíd cut those in half and dose them and then measure N and P at end of week right before water change and see if either has bottomed out and then adjust amounts accordingly if needed. As long as your seeing at least 5-8ppm N and .5-1ppm P at end of week with your type of plants/lightning you will be fine. Donít focus so much on EI dosing levels but on giving tank what it needs to make it through the week without bottoming out.

How big of a tank and what kind of livestock/load are involved?

What are you dosing for all the other micro like Zn, Mn, Cu, B? What about Mg?

Have ever considered just getting or building a multi channel dosing pump? Sounds like a match made in heaven for your situation.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2020, 07:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would suggest a doser. Perfect for exactly this kind of thing.

These are what I am looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Jecod-DP-2-Pr.../dp/B01KANTID6

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-2...er-minute.html

or a Neptune DoS since I have an Apex already:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dos-d...e-systems.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
More than likely youíll be fine front loading, your easy plants uptake not that demanding so doubt it will bottom out before end of week even with med light and med co2.

Agree with statement above that your probably overdoing it on NK. Iíd cut those in half and dose them and then measure N and P at end of week right before water change and see if either has bottomed out and then adjust amounts accordingly if needed. As long as your seeing at least 5-8ppm N and .5-1ppm P at end of week with your type of plants/lightning you will be fine. Donít focus so much on EI dosing levels but on giving tank what it needs to make it through the week without bottoming out.

How big of a tank and what kind of livestock/load are involved?

What are you dosing for all the other micro like Zn, Mn, Cu, B? What about Mg?

Have ever considered just getting or building a multi channel dosing pump? Sounds like a match made in heaven for your situation.
Hallo, to answer to question. sorry been very busy last weekend, need to finish a wish from my daughter to finish the rabbit house
Ok, back to topic. Ihave 600 liters planted discus tank. I have Profito Fertz which I suppose to do the job for Micros. I have a DIY doising pump last time where in i have NPK and micros at the same time in each week. Guess what? have a lot of algae

Ok, will try to limit and will measure all Macros at the end of the week before WC. And ofcourse, will give u feedback.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2020, 05:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Yeah

I also have pretty busy week and I decided if I wanted to make the tank look good then it was worth it to invest a little bit of money and have it running on its own

I second the cheap jebao doser from amazon, I've had it running for 2 years now and so far it's been pretty good

once you have it tuned it then it'll work great to fertilize the tank

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode