1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sam the Slayer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Landens aqua soil and ph

Hello,

This is regarding a caridina shrimp tank thatís been prepping the last 45 days or so. I use RO water remineralized with:
Mgso4 : 10ppm
Caso4.7: 20ppm
KCL: 10ppm
TDS 130~
Nitrates sit at about 5ppm. Moderately planted.

PH 5.2-5.3 (freshly calibrated ph pen)
Any thoughts why the ph is so low? I was expecting more around the lines of 6.5. Should I add in some carbonates to get maybe a 1kh?

The crystals going in are raised in about 6.4ph from SoShrimp. The Gourami in the tank now seems to be loving life. Im curious for some thoughts because I know most reminerlizers are just mgso4, caso4, k2so4 so I donít get why my ph is so low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is your KH test kit showing?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 11:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Landen soil eats KH for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I just put my 3 amano shrimp into a Landen soil tank with no KH and very low pH (5-ish). So far, so good here but YMMV as always.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
What is your KH test kit showing?

0. I cleaned the tank when I set it up and havenít ever put in anything to effect kh. Iím confused because I see these commercial breeders having zero kh but a higher ph around 6-6.5.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
Landen soil eats KH for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I just put my 3 amano shrimp into a Landen soil tank with no KH and very low pH (5-ish). So far, so good here but YMMV as always.

Amanos are tanks! Lol. If I was putting bee shrimp in I wouldnít even think twice about it but I have read so much that crystals generally prefer a higher ph with many breeders saying 6.7ish is optimal.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 02:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Slayer View Post
Amanos are tanks! Lol. If I was putting bee shrimp in I wouldnít even think twice about it but I have read so much that crystals generally prefer a higher ph with many breeders saying 6.7ish is optimal.
Yeah, sorry, I don't mean to say I'm any kind of shrimp expert. But I do know what happens to KH with Landen soil, and I do know you'll have a hard time keeping pH up without any KH.

But my unproven beliefs are that pH is overrated in general and that some shrimp like harder and/or higher-alkaline/KH water.

I have yet to try adding KH to any of my Landen soil tanks. I don't know what happens if you add K2CO3 or baking soda.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Landens aqua soil and ph

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivvel View Post
Yeah, sorry, I don't mean to say I'm any kind of shrimp expert. But I do know what happens to KH with Landen soil, and I do know you'll have a hard time keeping pH up without any KH.

But my unproven beliefs are that pH is overrated in general and that some shrimp like harder and/or higher-alkaline/KH water.

I have yet to try adding KH to any of my Landen soil tanks. I don't know what happens if you add K2CO3 or baking soda.

After I wrote ďamanos are tanksĒ I should have created a new paragraph. Was a separate general thought. But I do agree that most of the time ph doesnít matter as much as some think and stability is far more important.

I just added 40 mg of caco3 (3.5ppm ca) which brought kh up .49 in the 12 gallons of water. After waiting 1 hour the ph has gone from 5.5 to 6.88. Iíll measure it over the next couple of days and see what happens to the ph. Ultimately I may add 20 mg or so if it holds for a week.

Update: didnít hold very long. Ph was at 6.06 12 hours later.
Update: 36 hours later ph is 5.60
Update: another 24hrs later 25% post w/c 6.0ph (remin via equilibrium to 120tds, tank tds 136)
zivvel likes this.

Last edited by Sam the Slayer; 06-08-2020 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Notes so I can keep track

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode