The Planted Tank Forum banner

Predicting pH

1K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  pauld738 
#1 ·
Is there a way to predict pH, given KH and GH?

For instance, I'm adding Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ and baking soda to DI water to reach a target of 6 dGH, 5 dKH. Those numbers are within parameters for snails, yet there's a good deal of shell erosion lately.

#2 ·
Depending on the snails 6dGh might be a tad low.

With a Kh of 5 your pH shouldn't be anywhere near low enough to cause erosion. Although shell issues are usually a Gh issue.

For reference I'm running ramshorn's in 6-7dGh, 1dKh without issue (their breeding) but ramshorn snails handle lower Gh better than most snails.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#8 ·
You can't define ph by gh/kh alone. You must first measure the ph. Then, you can estimate what the CHANGE IN ph will be after adding gh/kh.

Ph itself is a base, or central measurement in the first place if that makes sense. It is the measure of alkalinity or acidity which changes depending on more factors than just gh/kh. Gh/kh are secondary measurements at best.

#9 ·
I'd argue that kh/gh are primary measurements and pH is a secondary measurement. [emoji846]

Focusing on pH measurement alone nets you nothing. Knowing your kh/ gh values, your base, then allows you to understand better what the pH measurement is saying.

Maybe it's just semantics though.

#14 ·
Salty Shrimp Gh+ will do the trick. If course so will Equilibrium and Nilocg makes a Gh booster as well. Or you could get your own dry Ca and Mg and mix your own (that's what I do, ~2:1 ratio).

Those all will raise gh without affecting kh.

Just go slow. Since you have shrimp, 1 dGh increase every week. The Blue tigers will be hardest to deal with. I don't have any personal experience with them but have seen 10 dGh as doable.

But see what 8dGh does for you first. That may do the trick? Although nerites really do like harder water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.