Since you are adding CO2, make sure you get a pH drop of 1.0-1.5 from your degassed tank water (a sample that has been allowed to sit out a few days - until pH stabilizes) to your fully gassed tank water (several hours after the CO is turned on - if you ever turn it off). Make sure you do it slowly, over many days, to avoid killing fish.
I read it can be high nitrates but I checked and theyíre never above 10ppm, my phosphates are around 1ppm, I havenít checked iron or potassium cause is so hard to find a good test kit.
Try to keep nitrates in the 10-30ppm area. Too much lower and you risk running out. PO4 can inadvertently run out, as well, if you are too low. I run PO4 in the 2-3ppm area.
Tests I like, and use for K and Fe are:
K: Salifert FRESH water potassium kit
Iron: Nutrafin (may be labeled under the Fluval name)
I ordered some Amazonia soil cause this is making me go crazy. Please check my pic, you can see the brown leaves already floating. Today I dosed two full caps of potassium, idk if thatís a lot but idk what to add anymore.
The Amazonia is going to provide quite a bit of the nutrients you are now dosing, so there will be some adjustments needed. Read up on what to expect when this is added. In either case, root tabs are unnecessary and can cause problems due to uncontrolled release of nutrients.
You didnít mention it, but I assume you are also dosing traces.
I also assume that you have good lighting.
There is much to the whole picture that will come into focus for you pretty quickly once you gain a little more knowledge and experience. Iíd suggest that you start a journal and describe your setup. This will bring a lot of comments to help you, particularly when you have problems. To start, make sure you include info such as the following:
- Light (make & model): ideally, PAR and PUR reading at the substrate and photoperiod?
- CO2 setup (if any) and how you measure CO2 levels in the water if you do inject CO2?
- pH difference between fully de-gassed and fully gassed?
- Current NO3, PO4, GH, KH, pH and TDS readings?
- What you are dosing (product and quantity) and how often?
- Substrate type and how long has it been in place?
- What is your filter setup?
- Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)?
- Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom?
- What is your water source and do you use a water softener?