GLA Ferrous Gluconate or Seachem Iron? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Deanna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
GLA Ferrous Gluconate or Seachem Iron?

I'm EI dosing my high tech 20 gal and have been supplementing with Seachem Iron on my micro days. Otherwise, new growth is yellow. My bottle is just about empty. I noticed GLA sells ferrous gluconate in dry/salt form. Other than the form it comes in, is there any difference between the dry GLA product and Seachem's liquid product? I'd just assume get the GLA iron and mix it with my micros. BTW, I am currently dosing the GLA EDTA + DTPA micromix. Can I simply mix the GLA ferrous gluconate with the micromix, or should I mix it in a separate dosing bottle?

• 60G low-tech planted acrylic elongated hexagon
  • 29G low-tech planted glass rectangle
  • 20G high-tech planted acrylic rectangle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 04:38 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
The dry form is essentially the same thing as Seachem's liquid. And yes you can mix it in the same bottle as the other micros

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
awesome!

I'm going to try dosing it with my micros

only thing is that I notice a slight yellow tint when the lights are off

@mossman77 do you see that in your tank?

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
awesome!

I'm going to try dosing it with my micros

only thing is that I notice a slight yellow tint when the lights are off

@mossman77 do you see that in your tank?

No, because I am dosing more iron. Also depends on the plant. Could be normal. I'm no expert. I just know what works for my tank. Sorry.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Why do you give up EDTA/DTPA iron. There has been some unsettled debate on whether iron gluconate or EDTA/DTPA iron is better, so Tom Barr recommends using both. I use Seachem Flourish that contains gluconate after weekly WC followed by DTPA dosing every other day. Buying 0.5 lb of gluconate and using so little will last so long that I am concerned about the stability of the compound will expire.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Why do you give up EDTA/DTPA iron. There has been some unsettled debate on whether iron gluconate or EDTA/DTPA iron is better, so Tom Barr recommends using both. I use Seachem Flourish that contains gluconate after weekly WC followed by DTPA dosing every other day. Buying 0.5 lb of gluconate and using so little will last so long that I am concerned about the stability of the compound will expire.

Maybe I'll try increasing my micro dosage to see if I can address the iron deficiency that way.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman77 View Post
Maybe I'll try increasing my micro dosage to see if I can address the iron deficiency that way.
May not be a good idea as too much heavy metals can be toxic to flora and fauna. Itís OK to dose more iron though because iron has short bio availability half life in water column. I prefer to get premixed micro from Seachem Flourish and supplement additional iron with dry DTPA. Flourish contains gluconate iron that must be stored in refrigerator once opened, and a jar can last a year for my 75G and 125g. My last 0.5 lb bag of DTPA is only half used in 3 years and hope it is still viable.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 05:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Chelated vs. gluconate form is mainly an issue of how often we are willing to dose and whether we believe (can't be proven) that having constant plant contact of nutrients is significantly beneficial. You can read about the differences between ferric and ferrous forms throughout TPT and, if I recall correctly, on Seachems website. Plants take up the ferrous form (e.g.; gluconate) almost immediately because it's so easy to do so in that form and you should dose a little heavier than you would chelated forms, because of this. A good way to determine the ideal amount of iron gluconate for your setup is to dose so that you can read some iron (I like the Nutrafin/Fluval test kit) for 20-30 minutes after dosing, at which point it should fall to zero.

I dose .15ppm gluconate (Seachem's) daily and have been for years, but this is for two reasons: 1) I have a Level 1 UVS which rips chelated metals apart rapidly (neutralizing the chelation benefit) and 2) I have an autodoser so I don't have to bother dosing every day. I believe (no proof) that a daily dose of all micros, in the right amount, is plenty to avoid plants running out of nutrients and creating mobile/immobile issues or deficiencies. If I did not use a UVS and dosed less frequently, I would use DTPA (EDTA is only good below 6.5 pH), probably combined with gluc.
burr740 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode