Does Anyone Measure ORP? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allexx46 View Post
People are referring to Tom Barr and if you read enough of his writings he is constantly preaching balance. Having a all these probes to measure balance and what is normal is really handy.
Hi allexx46,

TB may 'preach' the importance of so-called 'balance'. But, I'm a scientist and I don't know what is meant by 'balance'. It's open to interpretation. That's precisely why I'm interested in ORP measurement. It was Lord Kelvin who originally said "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it".

Anon

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science." ― Lord Kelvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sorry, I posted the wrong link. This is the one I was thinking about regarding TDS.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...for-Freshwater

Style: Organic potting soil, gravel, sand, wood, plants, algae, biofilm, snails, shrimp, fish, dual siestas
Tech : Small tanks, Fluval Plant 3.0, Top Fin MF10, Eheim Classic 150, Neptune Systems Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Streetwise; 05-15-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: URL
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 02:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
Hi allexx46,

TB may 'preach' the importance of so-called 'balance'. But, I'm a scientist and I don't know what is meant by 'balance'. It's open to interpretation. That's precisely why I'm interested in ORP measurement. It was Lord Kelvin who originally said "If you don't measure it, you can't manage it".

Anon

So did you read Allexx's reply about the lack of precision in ORP probes? Was Thomas of Aquinas ever quoted, "If your probe is giving you a 20% margin of error, err on the side of 'it's good enough' "..

BTW using ORP metering has been used in saltwater and with the Booth's early high tech freshwater planted tanks back in the early 1990's as a guide for how their tank's redox was faring, it was a good sign that their water needed changing and their filters and gravel cleaned.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrampsGrunge View Post
So did you read Allexx's reply about the lack of precision in ORP probes? Was Thomas of Aquinas ever quoted, "If your probe is giving you a 20% margin of error, err on the side of 'it's good enough' "..

BTW using ORP metering has been used in saltwater and with the Booth's early high tech freshwater planted tanks back in the early 1990's as a guide for how their tank's redox was faring, it was a good sign that their water needed changing and their filters and gravel cleaned.
Hi GrampsGrunge

The lack of precision in taking ORP measurements is well-documented and it's my experience too. I'm not sure how Thomas of Aquinas fits into this.

I'd forgotten about George Booth's experiments using ORP electrodes. Thanks for the reminder.

Anon

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science." ― Lord Kelvin

Tags
orp, redox

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode