How do you know if your nutrient solution is stable? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
How do you know if your nutrient solution is stable?

How do you know if your nutrient solution is stable? Is there a visual cue such as powder not fully dissolving or becoming undissolved?

I am looking to make a 1 gallon solution of shrimp remineralizer and would like to include calcium sulfate, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride as well as a micro mix. I would want to be adding probably 100 or 200 mL of this mix to RO water once a week per 3-4 gallons and have the gallon last 3 to 6 months.

So with that being said would this work? If I just went ahead and mixed it up how would I know if it doesn’t work?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 09:08 AM

For the remineralizer, which is just a mixture of inorganic salts, I would not worry about it going off. As long as you don't see any visible precipitate, then it should be fine to use.

Micro mixes tend to start growing mold after some time, so I tend to make them in smaller batches to prevent this.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
For the remineralizer, which is just a mixture of inorganic salts, I would not worry about it going off. As long as you don't see any visible precipitate, then it should be fine to use.

Micro mixes tend to start growing mold after some time, so I tend to make them in smaller batches to prevent this.

Thank you for your response. I was planning to use ascorbic acid to lower the ph and I have some anti fungal (vitamin c don’t remember the name) to help with the micros but was wondering if there are some inherent issues with mixing micros with calcium, magnesium and potassium? I have heard calcium can be a point of issue in solutions but couldn’t find it when trying to look it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Vitamin C = ascorbic acid.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 12:06 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I wouldn't mix your your micro with anything else. Your macro can have Mg, Ca, N, P, K without issue.

The micro mix has a chelator with the iron: EDTA, EDDHA, DPTA, etc. If you have an EDTA chelator, you will need to drop the pH and I would use distilled water to minimize any junk that could make it unstable.

Use opaque bottles.

Cheers.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Slayer View Post
Thank you for your response. I was planning to use ascorbic acid to lower the ph and I have some anti fungal (vitamin c don’t remember the name) to help with the micros but was wondering if there are some inherent issues with mixing micros with calcium, magnesium and potassium? I have heard calcium can be a point of issue in solutions but couldn’t find it when trying to look it back up.

As mentioned Vitamin C is the same as ascorbic acid. Perhaps you mean citric acid?

I would not mix micros with the macros. It is possible (if your solutions are concentrated enough) for iron phosphate to precipitate out, which would be undesirable.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Potassium Sorbate is what I meant for fungal control. While doing some reading it seems that if you keep phosphates out of the mix there really shouldn’t be any negative reactions
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	898181

This was echoed a few times in other sources.

I think I’ll give it a try and see if it holds together since it appears I am looking for cloudy solution or a build up of salts in the mix if it doesn’t work. It will be kept in a dark cabinet.

What I will be adding is:
Calcium sulphate
Magnesium sulphate
Potassium chloride
Fe dtpa
Boron
Zinc
Manganese

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 06:04 PM

Give it a try and see what happens. Calcium sulfate has a low solubility, and if the iron chelate degrades, it might precipitate out as ferric sulfate.

Anthony

and

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2020, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Give it a try and see what happens. Calcium sulfate has a low solubility, and if the iron chelate degrades, it might precipitate out as ferric sulfate.

Is there a visual que when the dtpa iron degrades and becomes ferric sulfate?

Thank you for your responses!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Slayer View Post
Is there a visual que when the dtpa iron degrades and becomes ferric sulfate?

Thank you for your responses!

If it happens to degrade and precipitate out, the solution will look slightly cloudy

Anthony

and

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
If it happens to degrade and precipitate out, the solution will look slightly cloudy

Ok cool thank you

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode