Flourish excel and moss - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourish excel and moss

Hi everyone, so recently i added some moss to my 60cm tank. I am thinking about boosting the moss' and other plants' growth by dosing flourish excel. However, i read in some forums that flourish excel might melt some moss and plants. Anyone here has any experience with dosing flourish excel on tanks with moss? Would it be alright if i use flourish excel in conjunction with regular pressurized CO2? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 10:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you dose 1x to 2x excel daily, it probably wonít harm moss, but the 5x after WC dosage may.

I once have hard time getting rid of some volunteered moss with no luck until I dosed 5x excel daily for a week, and they are gone without a Trace.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I can't say about any moss aside from Java Moss, but @ 60ml of Metricide daily in my 75g, my moss didn't show any signs of distress.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2020, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmphiprionOcellaris View Post
Hi everyone, so recently i added some moss to my 60cm tank. I am thinking about boosting the moss' and other plants' growth by dosing flourish excel. However, i read in some forums that flourish excel might melt some moss and plants. Anyone here has any experience with dosing flourish excel on tanks with moss? Would it be alright if i use flourish excel in conjunction with regular pressurized CO2? Thank you
If your using pressurized the excel isn't going to do much for increased growth. If your using it as an algaecide than it's possible it clean off leaf surfaces that might help it's growth.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I still can't decide if i would give excel a shot or not. Any of you guys experienced significant growth acceleration on moss & carpet plants after you start dosing excel?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 12:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I can't say about any moss aside from Java Moss, but @ 60ml of Metricide daily in my 75g, my moss didn't show any signs of distress.
Dosage makes a difference in effect.

I don't know what strength your Metricide is. If yours is Metricide 14 which is 2.6% Glutaldehyde, your dosage is very high, more like 15x Excel recommended.

When I dosed 22 ml Metricide 14 (5x Excel or 2 ppm Glut) after WC and 9 ml (2x
Excel or 0.8 ppm Glut) daily in my 75g, my mosses were unharmed.

When I dosed 22 ml daily for a week, my mosses were wiped out. My volunteered mosses look like a mix of Java, Xmas and Fissidens. The reason I dosed 5X daily is to fight Ick which is an ingredient in Seachem Paraguard, and the collateral benefit I got out of it is to help me get rid of the unwanted mosses.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I had an unscheduled fight with some BBA. I slowly raised the dosage by a couple ml every couple of days until the algae died out. I watched all the fish and plants for any signs of distress. I didn't see any problems and all the BBA is now gone. BTW, it was full strength Metricide 14 I was dosing.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
I had an unscheduled fight with some BBA. I slowly raised the dosage by a couple ml every couple of days until the algae died out. I watched all the fish and plants for any signs of distress. I didn't see any problems and all the BBA is now gone. BTW, it was full strength Metricide 14 I was dosing.
Are you sure it is 2.8% Glut as not all Metricide 14 have the same strength.

You are effectively dosing 15x recommended daily dosage of Excel. You have demonstrated that plants and fish have much higher tolerance of Glut, not surprising as Seachem Paraguard instructed dosing of twice as much Glut as yours.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess I'll try dosing half of the recommended dosage and slowly go up to the recommended dosage. Thanks for the answers guys
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger15 View Post
Are you sure it is 2.8% Glut as not all Metricide 14 have the same strength.

You are effectively dosing 15x recommended daily dosage of Excel. You have demonstrated that plants and fish have much higher tolerance of Glut, not surprising as Seachem Paraguard instructed dosing of twice as much Glut as yours.

My bottle shows 2.6%. I've been using this bottle off and on for a while. Perhaps it's degraded some. I typically "reset" my dosage any time I start a new bottle. I have already ordered a replacement as this gallon is almost empty. Even if I was still dosing at that level, I would drop it down pretty low and start raising it up again to whatever my current level is, just in case of a "degraded dosage" situation. I keep it in the original bottle, under the tank, in the dark at room temperature but I don't really know how much or if any it is prone to degrade in that situation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode