Are Liquid Fertilizers Worth Buying? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2020, 04:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hydroponics
Do a Google Maps search in your area for hydroponic or hydroponic supply.

I'm sure you'll find something, and I've never come across one which didn't have an refill exchange program.
The plan may be similar to buying a refilled 20 lb canister for $100, and then exchanging it for $15 or $20 each time you need a refill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 04:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I prefer dry ferts for economy and being able to add or subtract nutrients as I might need.
Do you mix/prepare these dry ferts as stock solutions so that you can apply them via a doser?

Bump: I just had my brand-new 10lb CO2 tank filled at a Welding Supply Store yesterday. It was $20.

I could have done an exchange, but my CO2 tank will be clearly visible, so I'd prefer it look decent (yeah I know... a bit silly... but I like form as well as function)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2020, 07:30 PM
Algae Grower

Just to add to some of the other posts in reply here:

I had been doing evaporative top-offs only for 6 or 7 months and no fertilization regimen. I'm out in the country on a well and was concerned about what was in the water (for no real reason) so went with RO and I'd hoped my fish stock and a deep substrate would provide plant nutrition. I watched my plants slowly die back and new plants would melt within a week. Needed to change something so I turned to Easy-Green, Easy-Iron and Flourish. As it happened I also came into a CO2 rig freebie and got that going too. Also returned to well water and a once-a-month 30% water change since it had always been fine.

It's been two months now and things have really turned around and plants are doing well (as is the BBA, but I'm dealing with that).

I view Easy-Green and Flourish as complementary since the former advertises as a macronutrient supplement and the latter as a micronutrient so in my mind (and tank) they go together. Easy-Iron because the water consistently shows low iron when tested.

I shopped around for CO2 refills and have gone to a local welding supply for it. I'm getting "food grade" CO2 at US$39.00 for 10 lbs. I tried a local beverage center and they wanted literally twice that.

I agree with what's been said about Excel, it seems better as a fairly safe algacide than a CO2 replacement (which is what I'd thought before I dug into the what it's main ingrddient is).

Hth
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 04:43 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FischAutoTechGarten View Post
Do you mix/prepare these dry ferts as stock solutions so that you can apply them via a doser?
I'd love to set up a doser but my first couple of DIY attempts didn't work out smoothly. I just add my (now liquid) ferts manually, macros daily and micros 2x weekly for the time being.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 02:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'd love to set up a doser but my first couple of DIY attempts didn't work out smoothly. I just add my (now liquid) ferts manually, macros daily and micros 2x weekly for the time being.
Thanks for the response. I'm building my own aquarium controller. (Link here: https://discourse.nodered.org/t/aqua...ay-board/25839.) I'm bullish on connecting everything via i2c, and therefore have ordered 1 of the EZO-PMP, peristalic dosing pumps, from Atlas-Scientific. (Link here: https://www.atlas-scientific.com/per...d-dosing-pump/.) A little spendy.. I'll work with this first one, and then order a 2nd one... as I think I will adopt a Micro 2X and Macro 1X daily regimen as well. When I get to that point, I'll be pouring through threads on this subject.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Peter
learning never stops...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode