Best NO3 tester accuracy - Page 4 - The Planted Tank Forum
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 03:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for all your replies.

I'd very much like to know to what extent chloride, for example, interferes with hobby-grade nitrate test kits. Jeffww, you are fortunate to have a Hach nitrate test kit. It must use quite different chemistry to the API kit. Do you know how well it copes with any chloride being present in the test water? Or other anions, for that matter? It would be pretty straightforward to devise an experiment to check this out.

Anon

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science." ― Lord Kelvin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 05:00 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
I'd very much like to know to what extent chloride, for example, interferes with hobby-grade nitrate test kits. Jeffww, you are fortunate to have a Hach nitrate test kit. It must use quite different chemistry to the API kit. Do you know how well it copes with any chloride being present in the test water? Or other anions, for that matter? It would be pretty straightforward to devise an experiment to check this out.
This information is on the Hach website.
post #48 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 05:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusStu View Post
This information is on the Hach website.
Hi DiscusStu,

I could not find the information that you must have seen. Do you have a direct link, please?

Anon

"When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarcely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science." ― Lord Kelvin

post #49 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 05:55 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon View Post
Hi DiscusStu,

I could not find the information that you must have seen. Do you have a direct link, please?
https://www.hach.com/asset-get.downl...?id=7639983737

Hach has several other methods. The chromotropic acid method has a chloride interference level of 1000 mg/L.
post #50 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-12-2020, 06:08 PM
Algae Grower

Dupe
post #51 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-14-2020, 06:37 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusStu View Post
https://www.hach.com/asset-get.downl...?id=7639983737Hach has several other methods. The chromotropic acid method has a chloride interference level of 1000 mg/L.
Hi DiscusStu,

Many thanks for the link, which answered my question perfectly:

"Chloride concentrations above 100 mg/L cause low results".

I just checked my tap water figure for 2018 and chloride was 70.23 mg/l maximum.

Anon

Tags
no3 test

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode