The Planted Tank Forum banner

Testing Kits vs. strips?

757 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  quest 
#1 ·
I've ordered an API test kit but was hoping to start cycling my tank this weekend when the rest of my stuff (filter, heater, substrate, etc.) arrives. I ordered the API kit off Amazon and unfortunately it's giving me the earliest arrival date as March 5. I'm an impatient person but don't think there's much sense in starting to cycle the tank without any way of testing chemistry - should I get testing strips to at least give me an idea of what's going on chemistry-wise, or should I just wait until the proper kit arrives?

#3 ·
Awesome, thanks!

Fishless for sure. One of the people I talked to at my LFS suggested cycling with plants as well and I do trust her but I've also seen mixed information online about whether to plant the tank when starting to cycle or not. I've got Seachem Flourish and Seachem Excel coming just in case and my LFS has a good selection of healthy-looking, beginner-friendly plants - this will be my first planted tank.

#5 ·
Awesome, thanks!

Fishless for sure. One of the people I talked to at my LFS suggested cycling with plants as well and I do trust her but I've also seen mixed information online about whether to plant the tank when starting to cycle or not. I've got Seachem Flourish and Seachem Excel coming just in case and my LFS has a good selection of healthy-looking, beginner-friendly plants - this will be my first planted tank.
I suggest doing some research on what's called the "silent cycle". I personally always plant first, assuming the substrate doesn't leach ammonia, I usually give the plants a week to acclimate before stocking the tank. It's important to note that I plant the tank with a high density of plants and add the fish in slowly (not all at once). Personally I've never had an ammonia spike with this method.

#6 ·
Jordan Deus has an excellent suggestion. I suggest heavily planting which means very little substrate is seen, and mostly plants are everywhere. This is the most effective way to start a planted tank as it reduces the amount of algae that happens, as the plants eat the nutrients and nitrates/nitrites.
Slowly stocking is best, choose the hardier fish once your API test kit arrives and put them in. You can start stocking more once you get no ammonia and only nitrites and nitrates, slowly adding all the fish you want over several weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.