Curious about Calcium levels - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Question Curious about Calcium levels

What is supposed to be "enough" calcium in the water? Just wondering as my local water report indicates a range of 12.4-17.5 mg/l (ppm). Low? High? Spang on? I wish it said how much iron was in the tap water, too dernit .

Slinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'm surprised it doesn't list the iron level - since it is a secondary pollutant (discolors clothes, toilets, dishes, etc).

Anyway, the listed amount is ppm of Calcium - to convert to the calcium portion of hardness, *100/40. Total hardness can be approximated as the calcium PLUS the magnesium, so your dGH should be somewhere above that. It seems like a fairly low level overall though - mine is about 40ppm and the water is very soft. I don't need to add calcium, but I do need to add magnesium.

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm sorry, I'm mathematically challenged (I flunked algebra in school and that was over 30 years ago ! Which means that anything I did learn, I've long since forgotten.) What does the "*" stand for? I got the 100 divided by 40 I think.

As far as not having the iron on the test, it really doesn't surprise me. I sent an e-mail asking if that information was available, but never got a reply. This is Birmingham (AL) Water Works we're talking about after all .

On their report they give the Total Hardness as 51-72 mg/l and Magnesium as 3.29-5.0. I'm having some kind of deficiency issues in my tank with pale transparent leaves and chlorosis and I'm trying to pin it down. I guess I'll try e-mailing them (I really don't feel like spending a couple of hours on the phone trying to get the info) again to get the iron. Again this is Birmingham well water in this area tends to have a lot of iron in it, and although I believe my source is surface water from a lake it could still be quite high in iron.

Slinte!
Cindy

-
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Hello Cindy
According to Bham's water quality report pdf, there is basically no iron in the water.
http://www.bwwsb.com/water_quality/C...ity_Report.pdf

I use to live in Birmingham/Hoover area in the 80's till I moved to Guntersville area, me likes it here

What is your dosing regimen and your tank specs? do you have that info already listed on this site?

Craig

Craig

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
I'm sorry, I'm mathematically challenged (I flunked algebra in school and that was over 30 years ago ! Which means that anything I did learn, I've long since forgotten.) What does the "*" stand for? I got the 100 divided by 40 I think.

As far as not having the iron on the test, it really doesn't surprise me. I sent an e-mail asking if that information was available, but never got a reply. This is Birmingham (AL) Water Works we're talking about after all .

On their report they give the Total Hardness as 51-72 mg/l and Magnesium as 3.29-5.0.
Sorry - * is the times symbol. So if we say 15ppm *100/40, you get 37.5ppm (this is part of the 51-72 reported). To convert the magnesium, it is 4.0ppm Mg * 100/23 = 17ppm. Add the 37.5 and the 17 and you get 54.5 - within the range they report.

I'd bet you need to add a bit of magnesium with water changes. My Mg level is higher than yours and that is what I do. Buy some epsom salts at the grocery store and add some (I use 1tsp per week in my 55gal).

Kevin

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx
Hello Cindy
According to Bham's water quality report pdf, there is basically no iron in the water.
http://www.bwwsb.com/water_quality/C...ity_Report.pdf

I use to live in Birmingham/Hoover area in the 80's till I moved to Guntersville area, me likes it here

What is your dosing regimen and your tank specs? do you have that info already listed on this site?

Craig
Oooohhh, total embarrassment . I've been all over the BWWSB site and I *did* pull up that pdf, but just glanced at it and dismissed it as I thought it was just a .pdf copy of the report I receive in the mail; the "Annual Water Quality Report." Didn't bother looking closer at it. As for the dosing regimen, that's part of the problem as I had no idea where to start and what with. This report will help. Also, also due to a *mumble, mumble, grabbing the wrong bottle, mumble, mumble*thought it was potassium*mumble*not phosphate I think I've got the beginnings of a GW outbreak as the tank is starting to cloud up white. I did do an emergency 75% water change when I realized my error and it looks like I'm going to do another one tomorrow. I'll not be having this. There may be a diatom filter in my future .

Anyway I've only been trying to seriously dose ferts for about a couple of weeks. Testing (Lamotte's) and dosing KNO3 daily to keep nitrates around 10ppm, mostly not dosing KH2PO4 as it was staying around .5-1 (although right now it's more like 3 arrrggghhh.) Potassium confuses me. People say you can't test for it and to just dose at the same time the KNO3 is dosed to get a target level of 20ppm. I thought "That can't be right, can it?" But I did it anyway so right now I feel the tank's had an overdose of Potassium, K2SO4 as I also wasn't taking into account the potassium already in the KNO4. Dosing 2ml of CSB+B daily (1T in 500ml water with 1T Epsom Salts,) and 5ml Flourish FE every other day. But I've really only been doing it this way for about 5 days and now besides the pale leaves, and the algae I've also got some leaves starting to curl on me. I'm about ready to tear the whole thing down and start over. This is the 55 although given the depth of the substrate it's probably more like 40-45 actual volume. I think the only things that aren't in my sig is that the CO2 is on a monitor and I keep it at about 6.7, the temp runs around 78, photoperiod is 12 hours, 50% (or more *sigh*) water change weekly. It's somewhere between moderately and heavily planted. The limnophila is happy anyway.

Like they say, a "little" knowledge is a dangerous thing

<edit>My pardon. I forgot to add that my KH is kept at around 4 with the addition of baking soda (between 1-2 out of the tap.)

Slinte!
Cindy

-

Last edited by RoseHawke; 01-09-2005 at 02:23 AM. Reason: more info
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC
<snip>
I'd bet you need to add a bit of magnesium with water changes. My Mg level is higher than yours and that is what I do. Buy some epsom salts at the grocery store and add some (I use 1tsp per week in my 55gal).

Kevin
Kevin, thanks for the clarification. I did get some epsom salts to add to the CSM+B (1T of each in 500ml) because something (on the Greg Watson site?) said to do that, so it's getting SOME anyway LOL, whatever that works out to (2ml daily.) The math on this stuff is killin' me. I'm an artistic type person not a #%@!%!! mathematician! Something I've always been horrible at and it's comin' back to haunt me now. I'm about ready to tear the whole thing down and start over with new plants. Seems like I'm just having one disaster after another.

Slinte!
Cindy

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode