What should I be testing for now? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:12 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
My yellowish water is now clear as well. There is some kind of reaction when aquasoil is in incredibly soft gh/kh that does this. It has happened in multiple tanks.
Odd, I've not experienced discoloration of water with 0 KH using ADA. No wood or anything in yours that could release tannins? I even keep oak leaf litter in my aquasoil tanks and they stay really clear.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
My yellowish water is now clear as well. There is some kind of reaction when aquasoil is in incredibly soft gh/kh that does this. It has happened in multiple tanks.
Odd, I've not experienced discoloration of water with 0 KH using ADA. No wood or anything in yours that could release tannins? I even keep oak leaf litter in my aquasoil tanks and they stay really clear.
I've got two tanks that it happened to. One had driftwood that I boiled, the other just has dragonstone. The only commonalities were the RO used and the aquasoil.

Looking back I did not remineraloze the RO well enough for the aquasoil softening factor. If that would have been done, the water would not have been yellow. The main reason for this is because I did not realize how hard my seiryu stone was making my water in my first tank. I did not adjust for the lack of that in my newer tanks properly.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 06:59 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Unless I'm mistaken, aqua soils only remove KH and seem to have no impact on GH. At least mine stay steady to where I mixed them.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, aqua soils only remove KH and seem to have no impact on GH. At least mine stay steady to where I mixed them.
Yeah I'm not 100% there I thought kh was the big one for shrimp so I focuaed on that. For gh, I dumped in a teaspoon of gh boost I to 22 gallons after a 50% water change and barely saw a change.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode