Could EI dosing be killing my fish - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I always thought co2 running only in the daytime was more of a cost savings than anything else. I have a solenoid inline with the bubble counter, but I just haven't hooked it up to the timer.....which I also have.

I guess I just figured I was getting awesome saturation through my canister. The canister I am using is rated for 100 gallons + and I've throttled it back just a bit. It never chatters and never blows out micro bubbles or burbs out massive amounts of gas. I've never noticed it not flowing. It's easy to tell it's pumping as the duckweed is always swirling around the top of my tank. Ammonia always reads ZERO. Nitrite always reads zero. I haven't had a single spike since the tank cycled.

I've read so many contradictory opinions on weather or not to run c02 24/7 or not that it gets confusing. But always in the back of my mind it just seems that 1BS just shouldn't be enough to gas them.

I just got home from work. Another 2 tetras died today. I unplugged the co2 and I will go without it tomorrow and see if there is any casualties.

I am an equipment and tool junkie. I try to keep it simple but.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 10:42 PM
Algae Grower

Hopefully you have an air stone with a pump laying around to throw in too. Really hoping you can get through this without loosing any more. It sucks to come home to death every day. Been there before and it wasnt pleasant.

Also at night plants release some co2, and with your co2 running at night it can add up.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-11-2020, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I appreciate that. I've been keeping fish for 30 years and I've never had this sort of cascading death before. Especially with no signs of disease or injury.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So this is a pic of my drop checkerthis morning....I unplugged my co2 last night approximately 13 hours previously to this picture.

Something is odd. I must have been inadvertently gassing the little guys. The gouramis and beta are better suited for the high co2 levels I guess since I haven't lost any of those.

Weird
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200212_071842_1581527405414.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	893293  

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Those fish breathe air.

Fluval Spec V
7x Microsynodontis sp (1)

10g Terrarium
1x Cranwelli Horned Frog
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-12-2020, 05:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah also doubt it's the EI dosing. For an idea for a reactor, I saw one of these up for auction at our local club meeting this weekend. Seems like a solid setup for easy CO2 injection for the outgoing line on your canister to your tank.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007A0PI0U

Also if you still have fish death today, push up the outlet of the canister to get a good surface breaking ripple to make sure you have a good gas exchange and see what that does for your fish. Also charcoal is really only good for about a month, anything more and all it traps starts to release again back into your tank, which is my understanding. I don't run any chemical filtration anymore, just biomedia and mechanical.

300g 8' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 10:12 PM
Algae Grower

Iím just going to point out if your fish are dying, but your shrimp are fine, you might have a disease in your tank. I had body slime disease and by the time I noticed the cloudiness on the fish they would die within hours. There is velvet, body slime, and I keep hearing that ick hides in the gills and will kill a fish that way too. Quite a few diseases that are less noticeable, you might double check the diseases your fish can get and see what it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trahana: now with a custom signature. ...
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I found it all very odd as well. Although I'm not new to aquarium keeping, this is my first planted tank. Most of my other tanks have all been salt water reef tanks.

Looks like I was for sure gassing the little guys. When I turned off the Co2 it took almost 24 hours for the DC to turn blue again. Of course the gouramis and Beta were fine, as they could gulp fresh air if needed.

Like I said, I've never seen bubbles or anything ever coming out of the return line and the canister filter is pretty quiet. After the DC finally turned blue again I reached under and shook the filter and a massive amount of trapped gas and air escaped.

2 days now and no more death. Being new to the DC I didn't realize how yellow it really was until I saw it pull back to solid green. It was yellow/green the entire time.

I've ordered some clear PVC pipe and intend to build a c02 reactor once it arrives.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to helping me get this figured out and freeing me from my assumptions.

Josh
chayos00 and Squisher like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode