Post redo with data!
Wow, I thought I was providing a lot of info, but I understand there is much more involved, and that I need to be clearer. I can't answer all of that but I will sure provide what I can.
Yes, my main problem is BBA.
Brief history: Tank had been running fine for at least 7 years, but as low tech - no fertilizers, no CO2, Simple LED lights on a timer. Why fix something that wasn't broke some might ask... Well I like the hobby and wanted to get more in depth. I also hoped to have more red plants and also carpets. That's when I bought the CO2 set up and light. Info below. I did this at the end of 12/19.
Fauna (current anyway) Lots of shrimp, mostly breeding neos and some amanos. 5-10 ottos, 4 nano corys, 4 tetras?, 3 hatchets
Flora - I will be ashamed here and say I don’t know the correct names, but Sprite, Crypts, trying dwarf hairgrass and baby tears, Ludwigia, tiger lilly.
- Light (make & model): PAR reading at the substrate and photoperiod? - Fluval 3.0 36". No idea of PAR reading. I have attached a screen shot of the settings, but a couple of key points are: 2 photo periods. This is what I always did and is important for me as it's when I can be in my home office to have the enjoyment of viewing. Basically 4hrs in the morning and 5 in the evening. The new light lets me ramp up and down. I also have the blue turned off because I read that can help with the BBA. I do not have all at 100%, but it's close. It gets just a little indirect sunlight during the daytime “siesta”. The light sits just above a glass top and under a custom hood (I have cats)
- CO2 setup (if any) and how you measure CO2 levels in the water if you do inject CO2? - CO2 Art system with inline defuser running at a bit over 2 bps. I have a drop checker and API test kit. I calculate it with PH and KH test and used a chart to be 30ppm when fully gassed. I have it going on 1.5 hrs prior to the lights
- pH difference between fully de-gassed and fully gassed? 7.6 fully degassed / 6.8 fully gassed
- Current NO3 - 6
PO4 – no way to test
GH - 9
KH - 6
pH – see above
TDS readings – no way to measure
- What you are dosing (product and quantity) and how often? This was what my question was to start. Trying to not overload my brain, I bought the all-in-one Thrive S (shrimp safe) from NilocG. It states 1ml pump per 5 g 1-3x week. I have been doing about Ĺ dose 2x week . Not consistent and I know that’s important and why I was asking (and still am)
- Substrate type and how long has it been in place? EcoComplete. Most of it has been in there for 7+ years but I added more to make hills.
- What is your filter setup? Ehiem 2215 canister with no carbon. I also have a small powerhead to help circulation
- Cleaning regimen (filter and water change frequency and amount)? I had cleaned the canister filter only 3 x year. Last at end of 12/19, but will do that in the next days again due to the past and current issues. I know to only rinse the media with tank water. For cleaning the tank; when going well in the past, I would do 25% 1 x week WC. This would include vacuuming the substrate. Lately I’m doing 2x week.
- Circulation: surface rippling and are all plants gently moving from top to bottom? Yes. My spray bar is on mounted on the left end on a 45 degree angle from top back to lower front. The intake is at the other end. I experiment with the small powerhead in different areas. I also have an air stone that comes on over night when dark for 3 hrs.
- What is your water source and do you use a water softener? Tap water specifically pulled before our water softener.
I hope this and the photos helps you and the team give me more guidance. I have read numerous things about killing the bba with peroxide and Excel flourish, but what made most sense to me it to first halt the growth. That’s what I want to do now…but at the same time, keep the plants thriving to starve out the bba.
Last edited by LonBeMe; 02-04-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Reason: added info